How do I find the work function of a metal using black body radiation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a black body emitting radiation at different temperatures and causing photoemission on a metal surface. The solution is approached using Stefan's Law and Wein's Law, with the correct answer being obtained through Wein's Law by considering the temperature and wavelength of the radiation.
Amith2006

Homework Statement

1)The peak emission from a black body at a certain temperature occurs at a wavelength of 9000 Angstrom. On increasing its temperature the total radiation emitted is increased 81 times. At the initial temperature, when the peak radiation from the black body is incident on a metal surface, it does not cause any photoemission from the surface. After the increase of temperature, the peak radiation from the black body causes photoemission. To bring these photo electrons to rest, a potential equivalent to the excitation energy between n=2 and n=3 Bohr levels of Hydrogen atom is required. Find the work function of the metal.

Homework Equations

According to Wein’s displacement law,
[lambda1(max.) x T1] = 2.898 x 10^(-3) metre-Kelvin

According to Stefan’s law,
Energy of incident radiation(E2) = (sigma) x T^4

The Attempt at a Solution

I have doubt only in the first part of the problem. So I haven’t worked out the entire problem.
I solved it in the following way:

Let T1 and T2 be the initial and final temperatures respectively. Let lambda1(max.) and lambda2(max.) be the initial and final wavelengths respectively. Let E1 and E2 be the initial and final energy of the radiations respectively.
E is proportional to T^4
Hence,
E1/E2 = [T1/T2]^4
Therefore,
T2 = 3T1 {since given that E2/E1 = 81}
[lambda1(max.) x T1] = 2.898 x 10^(-3) metre-Kelvin
Hence, T1 = 3220 Kelvin
Hence, T2 = 3T1 = 9660 Kelvin
Energy of incident radiation(E2) = (sigma) x T^4
= 5.67 x 10^(-8) x (9660 x 10^(-10))^4
= 4.94 x 10^(-32) Joules

The solution given in my book is as follows:

E is proportional to T^4
Hence,
E1/E2 = [T1/T2]^4
Therefore,
T2 = 3T1 {since given that E2/E1 = 81}
[lambda(max.) x T] = constant
i.e. [lambda1(max.) x T1] = [lambda2(max.) x T2]
lambda2(max.) = 3000 Angstrom
Energy of incident radiation(E2) = hc/ lambda2(max.) = 6.63 x 10^(-19) Joules

Why do I get 2 different answers?

Physics news on Phys.org
You assumed a lot of things when you use Stefan's Law: that it was a perfect blackbody, and the flux was uniform.

The solution your book gave is correct because it does everything through Wein's Law, and then uses the fact that E=hv=hc/lambda.

Thats cool! Thanks.

What is black body radiation?

Black body radiation refers to the electromagnetic radiation emitted by a perfect black body, which is an object that absorbs all incoming radiation and reflects none. Black bodies are important in physics because they provide a theoretical benchmark for energy emission and absorption.

Why is the black body radiation problem significant?

The black body radiation problem is significant because it was one of the major challenges in physics in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It helped to drive the development of quantum mechanics and the understanding of atomic and molecular structure. It also has important applications in fields such as astrophysics and thermodynamics.

What is the Planck radiation law?

The Planck radiation law is a mathematical formula developed by Max Planck in 1900 to describe the spectral distribution of black body radiation. It states that the energy emitted by a black body at a given wavelength is proportional to the frequency of the radiation and inversely proportional to the temperature of the body.

Why is the black body radiation problem known as the "ultraviolet catastrophe"?

The black body radiation problem earned the nickname "ultraviolet catastrophe" because classical physics predicted that a black body would emit infinite energy at high frequencies, leading to a catastrophic breakdown of the laws of physics. This contradiction between theory and experiment was resolved by the development of quantum mechanics.

What is the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law, named after physicists Josef Stefan and Ludwig Boltzmann, states that the total energy emitted by a black body is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature. This law is a consequence of the Planck radiation law and is used to calculate the total energy emission of stars and other astronomical objects.