1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Black body radiation

1. Mar 5, 2015 #1
    Will a body of given emissivity kept inside a perfect black body start behaving as a perfect black body?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Why should it?

4. Mar 5, 2015 #3
    I meant the whole system black body having a normal body inside it

5. Mar 5, 2015 #4

DrClaude

Are you looking at the blackbody from the outside, or are you interested in the behavior of the grey body inside?

6. Mar 5, 2015 #5
    Can you please answer it for both

7. Mar 5, 2015 #6

DrClaude

What do you think?

8. Mar 5, 2015 #7
    I am actually confused.The actual question that my teacher asked was that if I coat a normal ball with lamp black will it start behaving as a perfect black body

9. Mar 5, 2015 #8

DrClaude

Then go back to the definition of a black body, and think what happens if you look at the painted ball from the outside. Does it behave like a blackbody?

10. Mar 5, 2015 #9
    A black body is the body that absorbs all radiations falling on it so when a electomagnetic radiation is directed towards the ball the lamp black will absorb it so the ball must behave like a black body.
    Am I correct?

11. Mar 5, 2015 #10

DrClaude

Yes.

12. Mar 5, 2015 #11
    Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted