Black body radiation

• Thread starter Abhisuma
  • Start date
Will a body of given emissivity kept inside a perfect black body start behaving as a perfect black body?

Answers and Replies

DrClaude
Mentor
Why should it?

Why should it?

I meant the whole system black body having a normal body inside it

DrClaude
Mentor
Are you looking at the blackbody from the outside, or are you interested in the behavior of the grey body inside?

Are you looking at the blackbody from the outside, or are you interested in the behavior of the grey body inside?
Can you please answer it for both

DrClaude
Mentor
What do you think?

What do you think?
I am actually confused.The actual question that my teacher asked was that if I coat a normal ball with lamp black will it start behaving as a perfect black body

DrClaude
Mentor
I am actually confused.The actual question that my teacher asked was that if I coat a normal ball with lamp black will it start behaving as a perfect black body
Then go back to the definition of a black body, and think what happens if you look at the painted ball from the outside. Does it behave like a blackbody?

Then go back to the definition of a black body, and think what happens if you look at the painted ball from the outside. Does it behave like a blackbody?
A black body is the body that absorbs all radiations falling on it so when a electomagnetic radiation is directed towards the ball the lamp black will absorb it so the ball must behave like a black body.
Am I correct?

DrClaude
Mentor
A black body is the body that absorbs all radiations falling on it so when a electomagnetic radiation is directed towards the ball the lamp black will absorb it so the ball must behave like a black body.
Am I correct?
Yes.