Black body radiation

Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A spherical body is enclosed in a spherical chamber which acts like a perfectly black body. The reflectance of the body is 0.4 and transmittance is negligible, the temperature of the body and surrounding temperature is constant at T Kelvin. The total power that comes out of the body per unit area is?

Homework Equations

P=σεAT^4

The Attempt at a Solution

reflectance is 0.4 so emissivity is 0.6, power radiated by body per unit area is 0.6σT^4 but the correct answer is σT^4- where am I wrong? I think the reflected radiation shouldn't be counted as coming "out" from the body

Answers and Replies

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I think the reflected radiation shouldn't be counted as coming "out" from the body
If that's the case, from where did the spherical chamber get the radiation it's emitting?

Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member
If that's the case, from where did the spherical chamber get the radiation it's emitting?
I am confused between the terms "radiating" and "emitting". Are they considered the same?

Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member
So this is what's going on- the chamber emits σT^4 (per unit area), the body emits 0.6 of it back and reflects 0.4 of it back, correct?

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
So this is what's going on- the chamber emits σT^4 (per unit area), the body emits 0.6 of it back and reflects 0.4 of it back, correct?
Yes.

Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member