Solving the "Black Box" Puzzle with Math Lovers

• Thread starter SBaldrick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Puzzle
In summary: M = (p(xi) - ni)*M y2 = p(xi) + niM = (p(xi) + ni)*MThis system will be linear in p(xi) and M will determine the slope and y-intercept.3) Find the values of y1, y2 that give the minimum value of p(xi) mod M. 4) Plug these values into the equation for p(xi) and solve for M. In summary, this problem appears to involve solving a system of equations and finding the modulus.
SBaldrick
Hello, my name is Eugene, i am glad i found a forum for people who love math.

I was reading a book on mathematical puzzles recently, and there was one which i couldn't solve, mostly because i am not a very clever guy. Perhaps you will have some ideas?

The area of the puzzle is non -linear algebra and number theory.

The author talks about a following situation. We have a machine, which can accept input (an integer) , and produce an output (also an integer) depending on the input.
We know, that calculations inside the machine are following:

F(x) = ( a0 + a1*x1 + ... + a7*x7 ) MOD M

But we don't know modulo or coefficients. However, M, ai, x must be between [0, 65535]

the goal is to find out all ai coefficients and modulo M;

We can calculate F function arbitrary number of times for any argument we want .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, my ideas so far were:
1) We can build a system of linear equaions (8 of them), for x between 0 to 7, and solve it with Gaussian reduction, or with Kramer rule. This would give us all coefficients easily.
For instance (slightly shorter example)

let the inner state of the machine be: F(x) = a0 + a1x + a2x2

a0 = 3
a1 = 7
a2 = 2

then F(1) = 12, F(2) = 25, F(3) = 42 and the system of equations is:

a0 + a1 + a2 = 12
a0 + 2a1 + 4a2 = 25
a0 + 3a1 +9a2 = 42

and by applying the Kramer rule we get the correct values of coefficients, 3, 7 and 2.

But we have a problem - modulo M.

Now if M is a prime (13 for simplicity) : the system changes -

a0 + a1 + a2 = 12
a0 + 2a1 + 4a2 = 12
a0 + 3a1 +9a2 = 3

And the results would be 3, 13.5 and -4.5
Result is in the same class modulo M as the original coefficients, and we can obtain original:

13.5 = 27/2 (mod 13) = (27 + 13) / 2 = 40/2 = 20 (mod 13) = 7

in the same way:

-4.5 = -9/2 ( mod 13) = (-9 + 13) /2 = 4/2 =2

And we can find inside state of function F. This however, needs the modulo to be known.

But if the modulo M is not prime (say 14), for the system above results would be:
3, 14, -5 or after doing the modulo operation : 3, 0, 9

Now, the answer is not correct (the inside state of F function are different).

So, i am having trouble with this bit.

I understand, that if we calculate all possible results for all 60 + thousand inputs, we will have a table with which we can recreate the F function.

But the author states that there is a more brilliant solution, which requires lesser amount of computations.

Do you find it interesting? Perhaps you would also like to know the answer? The author calls this puzzle a "black box"

Lets try solving it together!

regards, S. Baldrick

Physics news on Phys.org
Fascinating problem.

f(0),f(1),...,f(7) gives a system of 8 equations mod M. They seem to be linearly independent, but I haven't checked. If so, these can be diagonalized to give solutions to the coefficents of f mod M. Then we just need a way of finding the modulus.

TMM, thanks for participation.

Now, the only way to find modulus which i spotted is following:
function F can be substituted by an integer number, which is its result. Therefore the F function is equal to simply (integer mod M) and the result will be numbers from 0 to M-1, like if M is 13, we will have either 0, 1, 2, blah blah up to 12 as the result. And there will be exactly M classes modulo M, so we can find modulus by calculating all possible arguments x in F(x) and calculating the number of classes or do just a part of calculations and find the largest residue modulo M, which will be the M-1 with certain probability depending on the amount of calculations.

the F(x) function looks like Fourier transform in GF, and knowing M we can find coefficients by means of inverse Fourier transform, but again, modulus must be prime, else the situation is dubious.

also i think we can use Lagrange formula to interpolate the polinimial.

Any ideas, sirs?

Here are some thoughts about one possible way to approach this problem.

1) Express p(xi) mod M = yi as

p(xi) - (ni)M = yi

where ni is an integer

2) Set up a system of equations. Note you will have 2 more variables than equations. To reduce the number of variables you can use 2 pairs of data points that have the same y value.

Example: p(xi) - niM = y

and p(xj) - njM = y where xi [tex]\neq[/tex] xj

Setting these 2 equations equal to each other, you should be able to express one of the varibles in terms of the others, thus, by doing this for 2 pairs of data points, your system should have an equal number of equations and variables.

3) express the cross products, niM, as a sum of squares by rotating the axis 45 degrees.

4) Solve the resulting linear system and rotate back.

I havn't verified that this is correct yet, nor do I think it is the most elegant solution. There may also be some flaw, missing step(s), or technical dificulty I don't see yet! Anyways, here is my stab at it.:smile:

Last edited:
oh grand! sorry, but i don't quite follow what "rotate the axis" means mathematically.
a small example, somebody?

ah rotation matrix! good

still i don't see how finding a collision caused by two data points (which are congruential no doubt) will help.
we will still have unknown M and two different ni and nj.

My original atempt to solve this puzzle won't work because I still can't form an independent set of equations without having information about the coefficents:redface:. However, I've come up with another (half-baked) idea.
In your simplified case:

F(x) = ( a0 + a1x + a2x2 ) MOD M = y

form the system:

a0 + a1xi + a2xi2 + a3xi3 + a4xi4 + a5xi5 = yi

you will need 6 of these equations.

When you have solved for the coefficients form the set:

[ a3xi3 + a4xi4 + a5xi5 ]

M should be a common factor in this set ( if all goes well:confused: ).

brute force the values in python. it can easily do this in a few seconds for whatever output you want.

1. How does math help in solving the "Black Box" puzzle?

Math helps in solving the "Black Box" puzzle by providing a systematic and logical approach to analyzing the puzzle and finding patterns or rules within it. By using mathematical concepts, such as algebra and logic, we can break down the puzzle into smaller parts and then use equations and algorithms to find the solution.

2. What are some common mathematical strategies used to solve the "Black Box" puzzle?

Some common mathematical strategies used to solve the "Black Box" puzzle include creating tables or charts to track the inputs and outputs, using algebraic equations to find patterns, and applying logical reasoning to eliminate possibilities and narrow down the solution.

3. Can anyone solve the "Black Box" puzzle with math, or do you need advanced mathematical knowledge?

Anyone can solve the "Black Box" puzzle with math, as long as they have a basic understanding of algebra and logic. The puzzle can be solved using simple equations and logical reasoning, so advanced mathematical knowledge is not necessary.

4. Is there a specific approach or order in which math should be applied to solve the "Black Box" puzzle?

There is no specific approach or order in which math should be applied to solve the "Black Box" puzzle. The most important thing is to carefully analyze the puzzle and use mathematical concepts and strategies that make sense to you. Some people may prefer to start with creating tables or charts, while others may jump straight to using equations.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving the "Black Box" puzzle with math?

Some helpful tips for solving the "Black Box" puzzle with math include keeping track of all the inputs and outputs, using logical reasoning to eliminate possibilities, and breaking the puzzle down into smaller parts. It can also be helpful to work with others or seek out online resources and tutorials for different mathematical approaches to the puzzle.