Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Black clouds

1. Dec 11, 2005 #1
    http://www.met-office.gov.uk/satpics/latest_VIS.html (EDIT: link expired, use this one)

Anyone else notice the huge cloud of smoke over SE England? Look at the vis-satellite from earlier today - it's larger than Luxembourg!
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2005 #2

Doesn't the black cloud mean there is a lack of clouds there?
  4. Dec 12, 2005 #3
    That's what I thought.. then I thought maybe there was a joke involved that I didn't get.. and then I saw something shiney on the ground..
  5. Dec 12, 2005 #4

Gold Member

6. Dec 12, 2005 #5
    Yeah that's what I meant. You can't see it any more though, they changed the picture. It was huge - like a hundred miles wide.
  7. Dec 12, 2005 #6
    Aha! Found a link here (AP picture). Compare the size with Luxembourg in the lower right corner. It makes all the oil fires in 1991 put together look insignificant.
  8. Dec 12, 2005 #7
    This second picture's alot better. I wasn't sure what you were talking about in the first one.
  9. Dec 12, 2005 #8
    Forget the black smoke, has anyone noticed the huge yellow arrow hovering over Bristol?!? Eeek! THEY'RE HERE!!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?