1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Black clouds

1. Dec 11, 2005 #1
    http://www.met-office.gov.uk/satpics/latest_VIS.html (EDIT: link expired, use this one)

Anyone else notice the huge cloud of smoke over SE England? Look at the vis-satellite from earlier today - it's larger than Luxembourg!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2005 #2

Mk

Doesn't the black cloud mean there is a lack of clouds there?

4. Dec 12, 2005 #3
    That's what I thought.. then I thought maybe there was a joke involved that I didn't get.. and then I saw something shiney on the ground..

5. Dec 12, 2005 #4

matthyaouw

Gold Member

6. Dec 12, 2005 #5
    Yeah that's what I meant. You can't see it any more though, they changed the picture. It was huge - like a hundred miles wide.

7. Dec 12, 2005 #6
    Aha! Found a link here (AP picture). Compare the size with Luxembourg in the lower right corner. It makes all the oil fires in 1991 put together look insignificant.

8. Dec 12, 2005 #7
    This second picture's alot better. I wasn't sure what you were talking about in the first one.

9. Dec 12, 2005 #8
    Forget the black smoke, has anyone noticed the huge yellow arrow hovering over Bristol?!? Eeek! THEY'RE HERE!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?