Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Black Friday Shopping Mania

1. Nov 25, 2011 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been sitting here watching reports of violence at Walmarts and Target stores due to the Black Friday frenzy. They also referenced one incident that happened last year [?] in which a man was trampled to death in a Black Friday rush.

Unbelievable! And all for a bunch of junk.

One woman apparently pepper sprayed her way to the front of the line, paid for her purchases, and left before anyone did anything!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2011 #2
    Yeah; It's pretty gross. The whole security guard being trampled to death incident really infuriates me. I don't know what is wrong with people. Is a free Netbook really worth someone's life?

4. Nov 25, 2011 #3
    I was watching the news last night after work and one person waiting in line looked bat poo crazy and the couple first in line said they had spent only an hour with their family and friends.I read the pepper spray article too. It makes me weep for humanity

5. Nov 25, 2011 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

6. Nov 25, 2011 #5
    Wow. I do too. Though being L.A., I am surprised nobody sucker-punched her.

7. Nov 25, 2011 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Another shopper was shot and critically wounded walking out to his car from Walmart.

Disgusting.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2011/11/black-friday-gets-underway-with-shooting-pepper-spray-incidents.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  8. Nov 25, 2011 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The point was correctly made, I think, that the stores will have to start taking some responsibility for this. They are creating a mob mentality by design.

9. Nov 25, 2011 #8
    I think there is a really weird psychology going on with people in general. People have become super irrational. I work in the video repair call center for Comcast and I see this every day.People have incredibly unrealistic expectations and very often expect something for nothing or have that oh so prevalent entitlement attitude.I would never treat anyone the way I am quite often treated over the phone

10. Nov 25, 2011 #9
    I agree with that but I think the media is at fault at well.Reminds me of that lie from Fught Club " advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. work jobs we hate so we can by **** we don't need"

11. Nov 25, 2011 #10

turbo

Gold Member

WalMart, Target, Best Buy, etc, should be held fully responsible for personal injuries suffered during the frenzies that they whip up in the clueless. Terms like "doorbuster" are splashed all over the fliers that get inserted into our newspapers leading up to Black Friday. It's sad to see people all lathered up about the chance to buy some Chinese-made electronic junk. If they could only wait until after Christmas, they could get their junk even cheaper.

12. Nov 25, 2011 #11
    In other countries people fight over food, here we fight over Tickle Me Elmo. Small wonder the economy is in such a mess.

13. Nov 25, 2011 #12

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My X-Wife

See above. Some people just can't help themselves.

14. Nov 25, 2011 #13
    Dawn of the dead!

15. Nov 25, 2011 #14
    Nothing crazy happened at my Walmart. I went last night at ten to get the comfy new office chair I'm sitting in now. It was quite crowded, but not pushy-shovey. I went out this morning around 9:30. Walmart was deserted. It was nice, but they had already sold out of the sewing machine tote-bag I wanted. I got one at another store for a great price anyway. I was glad about stores that opened last night or super early this morning. It meant there were fewer crowds when I was out. I also liked how many of the deals you could get online. That's the easiest.

16. Nov 26, 2011 #15
    Here's a video of a local Urban Outfitters:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  17. Nov 26, 2011 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Nonsense. This is mainly the shopper's fault. They are the ones who decide to assault other shoppers. Wal-mart doesn't tell shoppers to bring pepper spray with them to the store. Wal-mart doesn't tell them to spray. I hate this ridiculous mentality that people can't be held responsible for their actions if some corporation is involved in any way.

Being anti-corporation is fine, but let's get real here.

18. Nov 26, 2011 #17

turbo

Gold Member

I'm not anti-corporate. Inciting over-the-top behavior after gathering mobs for manufactured "deals" and manufactured "shortages" is standard operating procedure for the big stores. When people get hurt (WalMart employee killed last year as he tried to open the door, for instance) who is to blame? Individuals in the crowd, or the company that formed and fueled the mob? I can't remember ever getting trampled or pushed at any of the local mom and pop stores, ever. Can you? Big corporations that manufacture these mobs are responsible for people who are injured or killed, IMO.

19. Nov 26, 2011 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Akin to blaming gun manufacturers for when people get shot. A ridiculous argument. Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

20. Nov 26, 2011 #19

chiro

Science Advisor

Maybe easy litigation and a society structured on passing the buck deemed it somewhat irrelevant, but I ask that question myself from time to time.

21. Nov 26, 2011 #20
    Yes, I should be able to buy a nuclear cruise missile and grenade launcher at Walmart. Its not the manufacturer's responsibility what I do with them and the law should not intervene unless I commit a crime. That would make for an interesting Black Friday sale...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook