What Drives the Madness of Black Friday Shopping?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Black Friday chaos led to a man being trampled to death at a Target store last year, and pepper spray being used to disperse shoppers at a Walmart in Los Angeles. This year, 20 people were injured in a competitive shopping incident at a Los Angeles Walmart, and a San Leandro, California, Walmart shopper was shot and critically wounded during a robbery.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've been sitting here watching reports of violence at Walmarts and Target stores due to the Black Friday frenzy. They also referenced one incident that happened last year [?] in which a man was trampled to death in a Black Friday rush.

Unbelievable! And all for a bunch of junk.

One woman apparently pepper sprayed her way to the front of the line, paid for her purchases, and left before anyone did anything!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah; It's pretty gross. The whole security guard being trampled to death incident really infuriates me. I don't know what is wrong with people. Is a free Netbook really worth someone's life?

I was watching the news last night after work and one person waiting in line looked bat poo crazy and the couple first in line said they had spent only an hour with their family and friends.I read the pepper spray article too. It makes me weep for humanity

Woman pepper sprays other Black Friday shoppers
http://news.yahoo.com/woman-pepper-sprays-other-black-friday-shoppers-110009506.html

I hope she receives jail time. I presume they would be able to find that person. If she used a credit or debit card, then the store would have receipts. It's possible she's on the store security videos.

Astronuc said:
Woman pepper sprays other Black Friday shoppers
http://news.yahoo.com/woman-pepper-sprays-other-black-friday-shoppers-110009506.html

I hope she receives jail time. I presume they would be able to find that person. If she used a credit or debit card, then the store would have receipts. It's possible she's on the store security videos.

Wow. I do too. Though being L.A., I am surprised nobody sucker-punched her.

Another shopper was shot and critically wounded walking out to his car from Walmart.

Black Friday got off to an early and violent start this year. Police said 20 people were injured at a Los Angeles Walmart store when a woman sprayed her fellow shoppers with pepper spray.

The Los Angeles Times said the incident followed a scuffle that broke out among customers waiting to buy Xbox and Wii video games. Police called it a "competitive shopping incident."

In Northern California, police say a Black Friday shopper was shot and critically wounded during a robbery outside a Walmart in San Leandro.

Police said the victim and several other shoppers were walking to their cars after making their purchases when they were confronted by multiple suspects who demanded the merchandise.

Disgusting.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2011/11/black-friday-gets-underway-with-shooting-pepper-spray-incidents.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The point was correctly made, I think, that the stores will have to start taking some responsibility for this. They are creating a mob mentality by design.

I think there is a really weird psychology going on with people in general. People have become super irrational. I work in the video repair call center for Comcast and I see this every day.People have incredibly unrealistic expectations and very often expect something for nothing or have that oh so prevalent entitlement attitude.I would never treat anyone the way I am quite often treated over the phone

Ivan Seeking said:
The point was correctly made, I think, that the stores will have to start taking some responsibility for this. They are creating a mob mentality by design.

I agree with that but I think the media is at fault at well.Reminds me of that lie from Fught Club " advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. work jobs we hate so we can by **** we don't need"

WalMart, Target, Best Buy, etc, should be held fully responsible for personal injuries suffered during the frenzies that they whip up in the clueless. Terms like "doorbuster" are splashed all over the fliers that get inserted into our newspapers leading up to Black Friday. It's sad to see people all lathered up about the chance to buy some Chinese-made electronic junk. If they could only wait until after Christmas, they could get their junk even cheaper.

In other countries people fight over food, here we fight over Tickle Me Elmo. Small wonder the economy is in such a mess.

PookDo said:
I think there is a really weird psychology going ...

My X-Wife

turbo said:
It's sad to see people all lathered up about the chance to buy some Chinese-made electronic junk. If they could only wait until after Christmas, they could get their junk even cheaper.

See above. Some people just can't help themselves.

Dawn of the dead!

Nothing crazy happened at my Walmart. I went last night at ten to get the comfy new office chair I'm sitting in now. It was quite crowded, but not pushy-shovey. I went out this morning around 9:30. Walmart was deserted. It was nice, but they had already sold out of the sewing machine tote-bag I wanted. I got one at another store for a great price anyway. I was glad about stores that opened last night or super early this morning. It meant there were fewer crowds when I was out. I also liked how many of the deals you could get online. That's the easiest.

Here's a video of a local Urban Outfitters:

Ivan Seeking said:

turbo said:
WalMart, Target, Best Buy, etc, should be held fully responsible for personal injuries suffered during the frenzies that they whip up in the clueless. Terms like "doorbuster" are splashed all over the fliers that get inserted into our newspapers leading up to Black Friday. It's sad to see people all lathered up about the chance to buy some Chinese-made electronic junk. If they could only wait until after Christmas, they could get their junk even cheaper.

Nonsense. This is mainly the shopper's fault. They are the ones who decide to assault other shoppers. Wal-mart doesn't tell shoppers to bring pepper spray with them to the store. Wal-mart doesn't tell them to spray. I hate this ridiculous mentality that people can't be held responsible for their actions if some corporation is involved in any way.

Being anti-corporation is fine, but let's get real here.

Pengwuino said:
Nonsense. This is mainly the shopper's fault. They are the ones who decide to assault other shoppers. Wal-mart doesn't tell shoppers to bring pepper spray with them to the store. Wal-mart doesn't tell them to spray. I hate this ridiculous mentality that people can't be held responsible for their actions if some corporation is involved in any way.

Being anti-corporation is fine, but let's get real here.
I'm not anti-corporate. Inciting over-the-top behavior after gathering mobs for manufactured "deals" and manufactured "shortages" is standard operating procedure for the big stores. When people get hurt (WalMart employee killed last year as he tried to open the door, for instance) who is to blame? Individuals in the crowd, or the company that formed and fueled the mob? I can't remember ever getting trampled or pushed at any of the local mom and pop stores, ever. Can you? Big corporations that manufacture these mobs are responsible for people who are injured or killed, IMO.

turbo said:
I'm not anti-corporate. Inciting over-the-top behavior after gathering mobs for manufactured "deals" and manufactured "shortages" is standard operating procedure for the big stores. When people get hurt (WalMart employee killed last year as he tried to open the door, for instance) who is to blame? Individuals in the crowd, or the company that formed and fueled the mob? I can't remember ever getting trampled or pushed at any of the local mom and pop stores, ever. Can you? Big corporations that manufacture these mobs are responsible for people who are injured or killed, IMO.

Akin to blaming gun manufacturers for when people get shot. A ridiculous argument. Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

Pengwuino said:
Akin to blaming gun manufacturers for when people get shot. A ridiculous argument. Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

Maybe easy litigation and a society structured on passing the buck deemed it somewhat irrelevant, but I ask that question myself from time to time.

Yes, I should be able to buy a nuclear cruise missile and grenade launcher at Walmart. Its not the manufacturer's responsibility what I do with them and the law should not intervene unless I commit a crime. That would make for an interesting Black Friday sale...

wuliheron said:
Yes, I should be able to buy a nuclear cruise missile and grenade launcher at Walmart. Its not the manufacturer's responsibility what I do with them and the law should not intervene unless I commit a crime. That would make for an interesting Black Friday sale...

It isn't the manufacturers fault.

Lets look at alchohol and cigarettes. These kill how many people? They even put warning labels on the packets of cigarettes and people still die from them and they are a major leading cause of death.

The fact remains that people with enough money will have the capability to buy the things that you have mentioned.

Major drug cartels have acquired access to military weapons already and that has been demonstrated with existing heists.

Drugs don't kill people. Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

wuliheron said:

There are laws against buying nuclear missiles and grenade launchers at Wal-Mart. There are no laws against Wal-Mart having a sale on Thanskgiving night. The former is illegal because anyone buying a nuclear weapon or grenade launcher probably has some really horrible intent. The latter is legal because at a vast majority of stores, such a thing goes along nicely with 0 violence.

Pengwuino said:

I didn't realize you are pro gun.

Crowd control is a responsibility. The same lesson was learned long ago wrt concerts.

What you are arguing is that the world should make more sense. Sorry.

Ivan Seeking said:
I didn't realize you are pro gun.

Crowd control is a responsibility. The same lesson was learned long ago wrt concerts.

What you are arguing is that the world should make more sense. Sorry.

And if crowd control doesn't work? Then what? Who's fault is it? In the end it is, in my opinion of course, the individuals responsibility.

Pengwuino said:
There are laws against buying nuclear missiles and grenade launchers at Wal-Mart. There are no laws against Wal-Mart having a sale on Thanskgiving night. The former is illegal because anyone buying a nuclear weapon or grenade launcher probably has some really horrible intent. The latter is legal because at a vast majority of stores, such a thing goes along nicely with 0 violence.

Intent has little to do with the issue. Possession is 9/10ths of the law, while intent is the last tenth and the hardest to prove. Walmart possesses sidewalks and if someone slips and falls on them because of their negligence they can be sued. The same with crowd control. There are laws stating clearly how many people can be allowed in the building at one time, how many exits can be locked, etc. in case of a fire. Walmart's intent doesn't figure into such laws and it doesn't matter in this case either.

What matters in each and every case is public safety. Not anyone's intent.

The Black Friday stampede scenario reminds me of an incident that happened to myself and three buddies long ago, just before large glass doors opened before a concert. The crowd surged anticipating the doors opening. The four of us were caught at first in the chaos, coming close to the glass. Someone, I forget who had the bright idea, interlock arms and squat down in a circle, which we did. The crowd surged around us but barely moved us because of our combined weight and friction to the ground. No one did break the glass that day, but it was close. Something to think about if you are ever in a small group in a compromised position at the whim of a surging mob. The technique worked well BTW. We were not helpless victims, just creative and resourceful.

Rhody... :bugeye:

WalMart should run a Black Friday sale on taser guns. That would be an interesting video.

Borg said:
WalMart should run a Black Friday sale on tazer guns. That would be an interesting video.
With a sign above the display that reads... "Taser wars... only the strong survive", along with a button that summons EMS.

Rhody...

rhody said:
With a sign above the display that reads... "Taser wars... only the strong survive", along with a button that summons EMS.

Rhody...
The botton has to be placed on the other side of a gauntlet of police officers with their own tasers though.

And the sprinkler system should be filled with pepper spray just in case the cops can't handle the situation. Gas masks will, of course, be sold on the opposite side of the store.

wuliheron said:
And the sprinkler system should be filled with pepper spray just in case the cops can't handle the situation. Gas masks will, of course, be sold on the opposite side of the store.
or tear gas.

turbo said:

I would have agreed if this were a mob stampede. But rather this appears to be individual violence.

For what my opinion is worth, I believe stores *do* have some responsibility to implement extra security and crowd control, to a degree which the crowd can be predicted.

You can say "what happened to individual responsibility", and frankly, it's out the window as soon as you are unable to enforce it. And in situations with a huge mob of people, you just can't.

Not certain as to whether or not this is related, but...

http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/crime/providence-stabbing-at-walmart-on-silver-spring-street

Very sick!

KingNothing said:
You can say "what happened to individual responsibility", and frankly, it's out the window as soon as you are unable to enforce it. And in situations with a huge mob of people, you just can't.

That is arguing mob violence is OK but individual violence is not.

Of course you can take individual responsibility. Nothing was forcing anybody to be part of the mob, except their own personal greed.