Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Black Hole Complementarity

1. Sep 16, 2005 #1
    What is Black Hole Complementarity?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2005 #2

hellfire

Science Advisor

I think I can tell you what it is, but I cannot tell you what the consequences are. The principle is based on the fact that Hawking radiation arises from the different definitions of particles and vacuum for a freely falling observer and for a locally accelerated observer located at a constant radius from the black hole. The observer at a constant radius perceives the black hole exerting a thermal radiation (Hawking radiation) and he can consider the black hole to be at a specific temperature. He also observers matter falling into the black hole. The freely falling observer just crosses the horizon towards the singularity without measuring anything of that. Black hole complementarity means an equivalence of both descriptions. Now, regarding consequences, note that this is not just like two different descriptions from two different coordinate systems, because a horizon exists which breaks any possible correlation between events inside and outside the black hole. May be someone can tell us more about this.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  4. Sep 16, 2005 #3
    I thought that an accelerated observer would perceive Unruh radiation not Hawking, no?
    If an accelerated observer as you say perceives Hawking radiation, then we on Earth would not see this Hawking radiation since we are not that observer?

5. Sep 16, 2005 #4

hellfire

Science Advisor

Unruh radiation is not a gravitational effect. An observer at a fixed position in Schwarzschild spacetime would detect Hawking radiation.

6. Sep 17, 2005 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Um, aren't they really the same thing when you come right down to it? Accelerated observer in a relativistic quantum vacuum?

7. Sep 17, 2005 #6
    Yes. Because of the principle of equivalence.

8. Sep 17, 2005 #7

hellfire

Science Advisor

You are right, it is only an issue about terminology for two different scenarios, as both are physically the same due to the equivalence principle.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?