Black Hole Energy Confinement - Exploring the Possibilities

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of microscopic black holes and whether it would be possible to create them by confining a certain amount of energy. The idea of quantum or microscopic black holes was also mentioned. However, it was noted that the LHC is not capable of creating such black holes due to the high concentration of energy required.
Frank Schroer
TL;DR Summary
Is it possible to confine energy in order to create a black hole?
After binge watching Steins;Gate, it has had me thinking about black holes. In the show it mentioned the idea of microscopic black holes(CERN). That being said, if matter and energy have an "equivalence", and if the Schwarzschild radius depends on mass, then would it be possible to confine a certain amount of energy that would result in a black hole. I am imagining a supernova going off in an indestructible geometry of some sort(confinement). However, I guess one should consider the contents of the energy itself, being photons or other particles who have a short half life. This would cause unstable I am sure... The idea of quantum or microscopic black holes are very interesting to think about.

Physics news on Phys.org
Frank Schroer said:
would it be possible to confine a certain amount of energy that would result in a black hole

In principle, yes. In fact, "energy" doesn't really refer to a kind of "stuff", it's just another name for the property that all "stuff" has of causing spacetime curvature. If you pack enough "stuff" of any kind into a small enough space, it will form a black hole.

The simplest actual mathematical solution describing something like "energy" (by which I assume you mean something like "radiation") forming a black hole would be a model where a spherical shell of, say, radially ingoing electromagnetic radiation collapsed into a black hole.

Frank Schroer said:
I guess one should consider the contents of the energy itself, being photons or other particles who have a short half life

Photons don't have a short half-life; they are stable. I'm not sure what other particles you are thinking of.

Frank Schroer said:
microscopic black holes(CERN)

Please note that the LHC never produced any of these, nor was it actually expected to. The concentration of energy that would be required to form a micro-black hole is many, many orders of magnitude higher than the highest the LHC can produce.

1. What is black hole energy confinement?

Black hole energy confinement refers to the process by which the immense gravitational pull of a black hole traps and compresses matter and energy within its event horizon, preventing it from escaping.

2. How is energy confined within a black hole?

Energy is confined within a black hole due to the intense gravitational forces created by the collapse of a massive star. As matter is pulled towards the center of the black hole, it becomes compressed and heated, releasing large amounts of energy.

3. Can we harness energy from a black hole?

Currently, we do not have the technology to harness energy directly from a black hole. However, some scientists have proposed theoretical methods for extracting energy from black holes, such as using the rotation of a black hole to generate energy.

4. What are the potential dangers of studying black hole energy confinement?

Studying black hole energy confinement can be dangerous due to the extreme gravitational forces and intense radiation emitted by black holes. Additionally, the technology required to study black holes is still in its early stages and can pose potential risks to researchers.

5. What are the implications of understanding black hole energy confinement?

Understanding black hole energy confinement can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of physics and the nature of the universe. It can also have practical applications, such as improving our understanding of energy generation and propulsion systems.