Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Black Hole Event Horizon exists?

1. Mar 1, 2015 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Is there a physical boundary that is the event horizon? Or is there not?
    The reason I'm asking is because texts say that the event horizon that appears in Schwarzchild's metric is a result of the coordinate choice, and it disappears by choosing some other coordinates.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2015 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think what they say is that the singularity at the EH exists only in some coordinates.

4. Mar 1, 2015 #3

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

The singularity at the horizon is a result of coordinate choice (you can make it go away by choosing, for example, Kruskal coordinates) but the physical significance of the event horizon is not. The event horizon is a light-like surface, and "physical boundary" is not an especially natural term for describing it, but it is a well-defined surface in the Schwarzchild spacetime as long as you use coordinates that aren't singular there.

5. Mar 1, 2015 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have never encountered a text that says this.

6. Mar 1, 2015 #5

ChrisVer

Gold Member

That's a coordinate singularity. It exists due to the choice of coordinates, and can be resolved by a more appropriate choice of coords.

7. Mar 1, 2015 #6

Ibix

Science Advisor

At risk of putting words in George's mouth, I think he's pointing out that a coordinate choice doesn't remove the event horizon, which is a co-ordinate independent surface. You can remove the coordinate singularity at the event horizon by careful choice of coordinates, but the horizon remains.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook