Black Hole Existence: Questions Answered

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation and detection of black holes, as well as their relationship with Hawking radiation. It is suggested that the event horizon is not a real singularity and that we may be observing still forming black holes. One participant also shares their perspective on the formation of black holes and the existence of cosmic jets.
Oliver981
Hello! Can anyone help me with the following question about black holes?

Let us consider a massive star which at the end of its evolution collapses into a black hole (say a Schwarzschild black hole, for the sake of simplicity). An observer far away, in its coordinate time, will never see the collapse because it would take an infinite amount of time for the star to reach its event horizon.
On the other hand, the black hole forms because the amount of proper time would instead be finite.
Since we are able to detect black holes (from indirect observations), should we infer that they are eternal? And if they are eternal, how does this possibly match with Hawking radiation (their mass should be infinite and they cannot evaporate)? Is it possible that what we see are still forming black holes?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not an expert in this, but I think it is the other way around. If you happened to be within the black hole's event horizon, you would never see it happen (because time would dilate so extremely that the collapse just never quite eventuates).

If you were outside the black hole's event horizon you couldn't share the same frame as someone inside it. The formation of the black hole would continue at its "normal" pace from a sufficiently distant outside observer's point of view.

(I don't think that boundary events are really of much significance, if you want to bring up two observers with neglible separation, one inside the event horizon and one outside the event horizon. That is, I don't think there would be a noticeable transition between outside and inside. I may be wrong, not having first hand experience.)

cheers,

neopolitan

Oliver981 said:
Hello! Can anyone help me with the following question about black holes?

Let us consider a massive star which at the end of its evolution collapses into a black hole (say a Schwarzschild black hole, for the sake of simplicity). An observer far away, in its coordinate time, will never see the collapse because it would take an infinite amount of time for the star to reach its event horizon.
On the other hand, the black hole forms because the amount of proper time would instead be finite.
Since we are able to detect black holes (from indirect observations), should we infer that they are eternal? And if they are eternal, how does this possibly match with Hawking radiation (their mass should be infinite and they cannot evaporate)? Is it possible that what we see are still forming black holes?

Thank you very much!

We detect signals from phenomena that occur near objects that are in the very, very late stages of their collapse to black holes.

neopolitan said:
I don't think that boundary events are really of much significance, if you want to bring up two observers with neglible separation, one inside the event horizon and one outside the event horizon. That is, I don't think there would be a noticeable transition between outside and inside.

No, there is no transition. The event horizon is not a real singularity, in fact it does not exist in Kruskal coordinates (I think). But a far-away observer sees the event horizon actually as a barrier (this is due to his reference frame).

So we actually see still forming black holes!

Thank you very much!

I am indeed a amateur when it comes to Quantum Physics, However I would say the the event horizon and the black hole itself is formed almost instantly and this is not something that we observe forming over a great period of time. As observers we see the beginning of activity, meaning that the black hole is at its absolute maturity almost indefinitely. I must also explain that the undefined Cosmic jets are indeed the "other side" of what we have seen. Therefore no matter has disappeared and the universe itself has remained equal. As I have said I am an amateur but very curious what others have to say of my view. I understand that science is not always logical but, this seems to make sense to me.

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This phenomenon occurs when a massive star dies and collapses in on itself, creating a singularity with infinite density and zero volume.

2. How are black holes detected?

Black holes cannot be directly observed because they do not emit or reflect any light. However, their presence can be detected by observing the effects of their strong gravitational pull on surrounding matter and light.

3. Where are black holes located?

Black holes can be found in various locations in the universe, including at the center of galaxies, where they are known as supermassive black holes. They can also be found in binary star systems, where one star is being consumed by the black hole.

4. Are black holes dangerous?

Black holes are not inherently dangerous, but their extreme gravitational pull can be destructive to objects and matter that come too close. However, the likelihood of encountering a black hole in the vastness of space is very low.

5. Can anything escape from a black hole?

According to current theories, nothing can escape from a black hole once it has passed the event horizon, the point of no return. However, some scientists believe that information may be able to escape from a black hole through a process called Hawking radiation.