Black Hole Firewalls: Explaining to John K Clark

In summary: In both cases, the observer sees only a very small part of the total event.In summary, the Black Hole firewall hypothesis involves breaking entanglement, which releases energy that is the Hawking radiation. The theory is that the closer an observer gets to the Event Horizon, the hotter they will get, until they reach the Planck temperature.
johnkclark
I've heard some explanations of the Black Hole firewall involving broken entanglement releasing energy that frankly I don't understand, but I have another way to think about it and I'd like to know if its even approximately correct. As I'm getting closer and closer to the Event Horizon time would slow down for me, and that means if I'm looking at you far from the Black Hole you would seem to be moving faster and faster, when I hit the Event Horizon itself I would see the entire future history of the universe up until the point the Black Hole evaporated away. You would only very very rarely see a photon of Hawking Radiation coming from the Black Hole but I would see them much more often and the photons would have more energy too because they didn't have to clime out of such a steep gravity well. The closer I got to the Event Horizon the hotter I would get until I got to the Planck temperature which I think is about 10^32 K.

Am I on the wrong track or is any if this right?

John K Clark

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost all of it is wrong. Falling through the horizon, all the way to the singularity, looking back, you:

1) do not see the whole future history, you only see a small part of it.
2) you do not see see the outside moving faster. In fact, if you free fall from far away, you see the outside red shifted by a factor of 2 on horizon crossing, meaning seeing clocks two twice as slow as yours.
3) Hawking radiation has nothing to do with the firewall hypothesis.

Likes PeterDonis
Red Shifted?? Maybe I'm missing something but it seems to me if I'm at the bottom of a deep gravity well and you're at the top and you shine a light down to me the light should gain energy when it reached me and I would see it blue shifted, that is to say the electromagnetic field of the light should oscillate faster from my point of view than it does from your point of view, in other words when I look up at you things look like they're happening faster for you than they are to me. I also don't know where got that factor of 2 at the Event Horizon, I would think it would be shifted a lot larger than that at the Event Horizen and toward the blue not the red end of the spectrum.

John K Clark

johnkclark said:
Red Shifted?? Maybe I'm missing something but it seems to me if I'm at the bottom of a deep gravity well and you're at the top and you shine a light down to me the light should gain energy when it reached me and I would see it blue shifted, that is to say the electromagnetic field of the light should oscillate faster from my point of view than it does from your point of view, in other words when I look up at you things look like they're happening faster for you than they are to me. I also don't know where got that factor of 2 at the Event Horizon, I would think it would be shifted a lot larger than that at the Event Horizen and toward the blue not the red end of the spectrum.

John K Clark
You are missing something. The infaller approaches the speed of light relative to stationary observers on approach to the horizon (and the stationary observers need proper acceleration approaching infinite to remain stationary). The result is that if the stationary observer sees extreme blue shift, the passing infaller nearing the speed of light sees small redshift instead, due to Doppler.

The data I gave (red shift factor 2 for infall from far away) is a standard calculation people do in a first course in GR. You can't reason from popsci concepts. You have to understand the math if you want to explore the physics in a sensible way.

Likes ComplexVar89, Pencilvester, berkeman and 1 other person
johnkclark said:
I've heard some explanations of the Black Hole firewall involving broken entanglement releasing energy

Please give a specific reference.

johnkclark said:
I be interested to know if you agree with Pallen that just before I fall through the Event Horizon I will see light from the outside red shifted not blue shifted.

Yes, @PAllen is correct. As he says, this is a standard calculation that people do in a first course in GR.

Many pop science discussions of this do not draw the crucial distinction between what an observer at rest just above the horizon would see, and what an observer free-falling into the hole would see. The observer at rest just above the horizon would indeed see light coming in from the rest of the universe highly blueshifted. Your intuitive reasoning in post #3 is more or less correct for this observer (though there are still plenty of complications that you have not delved into). But that's not the observer you were talking about in your OP.

Likes ComplexVar89 and berkeman
johnkclark said:
http://www.nature.com/news/astrophysics-fire-in-the-hole-1.12726

By the way, I be interested to know if you agree with Pallen that just before I fall through the Event Horizon I will see light from the outside red shifted not blue shifted.

John K Ckark
Note that this article, aiming for accessibility, is not an accurate statement of what the referenced paper says. The referenced paper has no notion of energy from breaking entanglement, in the way the popular article does. However, I admit an overstatement. There is some connection between Hawking radiation and firewalls, in that what it is entangled with figures in the argument for why high energy modes must be encountered if a set of plausible assumptions holds.

If I were on the surface of a Neutron Star and looking through a telescope at your clock far away in zero g wouldn't I see your clock running much faster than my clock? And would't being of the surface on a Neutron Star be equivalent as far as Einstein is concerned to being in a spaceship in open space accelerating at a billion gravities or so?

John K Clark

johnkclark said:
If I were on the surface of a Neutron Star and looking through a telescope at your clock far away in zero g wouldn't I see your clock running much faster than my clock?
Yes.
johnkclark said:
And would't being of the surface on a Neutron Star be equivalent as far as Einstein is concerned to being in a spaceship in open space accelerating at a billion gravities or so?
Dunno about the exact number, but yes. A clock infront of you would be similarly blueshifted. Not sure why you think this is relevant to anything in this thread, though.

Last edited:
johnkclark said:
If I were on the surface of a Neutron Star and looking through a telescope at your clock far away in zero g wouldn't I see your clock running much faster than my clock? And would't being of the surface on a Neutron Star be equivalent as far as Einstein is concerned to being in a spaceship in open space accelerating at a billion gravities or so?

John K Clark
Yes for both but:

Someone free falling onto the neutron star would NOT see extreme blueshift due to Doppler relative to a surface observer for speed c/3 for typical neutron star. You keep ignoring that static observer is accelerating relative to free faller, and that they have high relative speed. In the case of a BH, a free faller’s speed relative to static observers approaches c as the horizon is approached.

Likes Ibix
Please correct me if I'm wrong, if I was hovering just outside the Event Horizon in a super powerful spaceship I could observe the Black Hole evaporating in just a few minutes even though for you who is far away that would take many trillions of years; the only problem is I would also observe many trillions of years worth of Hawking Radiation in just a few minutes, and that would cook me. However if I had no spaceship and was just freely falling through the Event Horizon the Hawking Radiation wouldn't bother me at all; or at least that was the idea before 5 or 6 years ago when this firewall/ entanglement business came up which seems to say the freely falling man may be cooked too at the Event Horizon, but I don't understand Black Hole Firewalls worth a damn.

John K Clark

johnkclark said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, if I was hovering just outside the Event Horizon in a super powerful spaceship I could observe the Black Hole evaporating in just a few minutes even though for you who is far away that would take many trillions of years; the only problem is I would also observe many trillions of years worth of Hawking Radiation in just a few minutes, and that would cook me. However if I had no spaceship and was just freely falling through the Event Horizon the Hawking Radiation wouldn't bother me at all; or at least that was the idea before 5 or 6 years ago when this firewall/ entanglement business came up which seems to say the freely falling man may be cooked too at the Event Horizon, but I don't understand Black Hole Firewalls worth a damn.

John K Clark
Yes, that is pretty much all correct. In fact before the firewall conjecture, technicalities of Hawking radiation implied it couldn’t even be detected by an infaller. Note, the form of energy at the proposed firewall is wholly unknown - the arguments are of the form ‘something must exist’. Some derivations don’t even involve Hawking radiation at all.

Last edited:
I will try (at inherent risk of imprecision) to summarize the firewall issue.

There were a set of assumptions about the quantum picture of BH called “black hole complementarity”. The firewall argument shows these assumptions to be inconsistent. Many possible modifications of the assumptions remove the inconsistency. One such modification is to drop “no drama at the horizon”; that is what is called the firewall. However, so far, all alternative modifications are considered worse by most physicists, e.g. information loss or some violation of unitarity, or some other modification of quantum mechanics. Many physicists believe that ultimately, a “none of the above” option will be found, that preserves “no drama at the horizon”. For example, Juan Maldacena believes this, though not having any such complete proposal to put forth.

1. What is a black hole firewall?

A black hole firewall is a theoretical phenomenon proposed by physicists to explain the behavior of matter as it enters a black hole. It suggests that instead of smoothly passing through the event horizon, matter would encounter a "firewall" of high-energy radiation that would instantly destroy it.

2. How does the existence of a black hole firewall challenge our understanding of black holes?

The existence of a black hole firewall challenges our understanding of black holes because it contradicts the idea that the event horizon of a black hole is a smooth region of space. It also goes against the principle of general relativity, which states that an observer falling into a black hole would not experience anything out of the ordinary.

3. What evidence do we have for the existence of black hole firewalls?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of black hole firewalls. However, scientists have used mathematical models and thought experiments to explore the concept and its implications. More research and observations of black holes are needed to determine if firewalls truly exist.

4. How do black hole firewalls relate to the information paradox?

The information paradox is a puzzle in physics that arises when considering the fate of information that falls into a black hole. According to quantum mechanics, information cannot be destroyed, but according to general relativity, it would be lost forever in a black hole. The existence of a firewall could potentially solve this paradox by providing a mechanism for the preservation of information.

5. Are there any alternative explanations for the behavior of matter in black holes?

Yes, there are alternative explanations for the behavior of matter in black holes, such as the fuzzball theory, which suggests that the event horizon of a black hole is actually a "fuzzball" of strings rather than a smooth surface. Other theories propose modifications to the laws of general relativity to account for the phenomenon without the need for a firewall. However, further research is needed to determine which explanation is most accurate.