Frame Dragging Around Spinning Black Holes: Implications

In summary, frame dragging is a commonly accepted phenomenon in cosmology where spacetime around a rotating black hole is curved, causing objects to circle around it. This effect may also be contributed to by the mass of an accretion disk. However, spacetime itself does not rotate or disappear into black holes. A non-mathematical course on relativity by Ben Crowell is recommended for further understanding. The Gravity Probe B experiment also provides interesting information on frame dragging and other related concepts.
Robert Friz
TL;DR Summary
The question is whether the spin and extreme gravity of a black hole causes frame dragging to vector the fabric of space itself towards and into the black hole.
Frame dragging around a spinning black hole is generally accepted in cosmology. Does the frame dragging result solely in space-time rotating forever around the black hole, or does frame dragging ultimately result in space-time vectoring towards and into the black hole?

An additional question involves the accretion disk. Does the mass in an accretion disk add to or detract from the rotational frame dragging? Furthermore, since the matter in an accretion disk is moving towards the black hole while rotating around it, does the mass of the accretion disk create a vector for frame dragging space-time towards and ultimately into the black hole?

If either or both frame dragging mechanisms result in moving space-time itself towards and into the black hole, then the street-talk description might be that the black hole is "eating space-time". This has implications...

Physics news on Phys.org
Robert Friz said:
Does the frame dragging result solely in space-time rotating forever around the black hole, or does frame dragging ultimately result in space-time vectoring towards and into the black hole?
Spacetime doesn't rotate. You have to remember that it's a four dimensional entity - so "space now" is a different slice of spacetime from "space a moment ago". Space a moment ago doesn't change, move, or rotate (how could it?) and nor does space now. But spacetime around a rotating black hole is curved in such a way that inertially moving objects will tend to circle around the black hole.

So no, in short, spacetime is not disappearing into black holes. It isn't a thing that could do - "fabric" of spacetime is a vaguely evocative term that shouldn't be taken at all seriously.

Robert Friz said:
An additional question involves the accretion disk. Does the mass in an accretion disk add to or detract from the rotational frame dragging?
I would expect that the accretion disc does contribute to frame dragging. We have detected the effect from the Earth's rotation, so it seems reasonable that an accretion disc would generate it too, although the effect may well be negligible - I don't know how massive accretion discs are. I have not seen any maths to prove that conjecture, though, and I suspect it would require numerical solutions and be quite time consuming to do. It doesn't change anything about my first two paragraphs.

Likes PeroK
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. As an amateur, I have a very active imagination but no graduate level physics education, which results in going down blind alleys sometimes. Your help was appreciated!

Likes Ibix
You're welcome.

A former mentor here, Ben Crowell, teaches a non-mathematical course in relativity. The course notes are a book, which can be downloaded free from http://lightandmatter.com/poets/, if you want a look. It's pretty good, and fairly honest about what can be understood without maths.

Likes vanhees71
Ibix said:
You're welcome.

A former mentor here, Ben Crowell, teaches a non-mathematical course in relativity. The course notes are a book, which can be downloaded free from http://lightandmatter.com/poets/, if you want a look. It's pretty good, and fairly honest about what can be understood without maths.

Ben Crowell's course is indeed quite good. I have delved into it, and while a good deal of the material is familiar, it is presented in one of the most interesting and compelling formats I have encountered. Thanks so much for the reference.

Bob

I like this page from the Gravity Probe B experiment that describes a lot of the physics around frame dragging, etc:
https://einstein.stanford.edu/SPACETIME/spacetime4.html (note that you should also check out the pages on Netwon's spacetime, Einstein, etc they have a lot of fun info as well!)

Likes vanhees71
Yes, the website you mentioned was interesting. GP-B was a fascinating experiment, with the design of, the protection of from outside forces, and the measurement of results ingenious. Thank you for the reference.

1. What is frame dragging around spinning black holes?

Frame dragging is a phenomenon in which the rotation of a massive object, such as a black hole, causes the surrounding space-time to twist and drag along with it. This effect is predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How does frame dragging affect objects near spinning black holes?

Objects near a spinning black hole will experience a twisting of their motion due to the frame dragging effect. This can result in changes in the object's orbit and can also affect the behavior of matter falling into the black hole.

3. What are the implications of frame dragging around spinning black holes?

The implications of frame dragging are significant for understanding the behavior of matter and energy in the extreme conditions near black holes. It also has implications for the study of gravitational waves and the structure of space-time.

4. How is frame dragging around spinning black holes measured?

Frame dragging can be indirectly measured through its effects on the motion of objects and light near black holes. It has also been confirmed through observations of the orbits of satellites around the Earth and the rotation of stars near black holes.

5. Can frame dragging around spinning black holes be used for practical applications?

While frame dragging has been confirmed through observations, it is currently not possible to harness this effect for practical applications. However, the study of frame dragging and its implications may lead to new discoveries and technologies in the future.