1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Black hole from a photon

Tags:
  1. Feb 27, 2017 #1
    Is it possible for a photon to be so energetic that it forms a black hole?

If so, how fast would that black hole be moving?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2017 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

It is not, as the energy of a photon is frame-dependent. An observer moving away from the emitter would measure the photon as having a lower amount of energy than an observer moving towards the emitter. In addition, a photon has no reference frame that we can assign to it.

4. Feb 27, 2017 #3
    We need a mass to form a blackhole

5. Feb 27, 2017 #4

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, I love PF because I learn every day from people like @Drakkith

Do I understand correctly that objects (like photons) with frame-dependent energy can not form a frame-invariant object (like a BH) seen by observers in all frames? None of my teachers ever mentioned that implication of frame-dependent versus frame-independent. It is so simple and profound.

6. Feb 27, 2017 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

That is my understanding, but I'm not formally educated in relativity. It's just something I also picked up here at PF. :biggrin:

It does make sense given that a cosmic ray proton travelling near the speed of light may see a massive star as having an staggeringly huge amount of kinetic energy. If the object's invariant mass was dependent on its kinetic energy, this star should collapse into a black hole. But it doesn't.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted