Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Black Hole Gravity

1. Mar 26, 2009 #1
    How does black hole gravity remain?

I think I read that when a stellar object collapses the gravity remains....that is, the gravity is not hypothesized to emerge from beyond the event horizon after the collapse of matter....almost everything else about the object "disappears" beyond the event horizon...so what's the mechanism that makes gravity remain outside the event horizon? Why does it remain but apparently nothing else?? (I think we also can detect spin and charge...so maybe my question applies to them as well...)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2009 #2
    The mechanism that "makes gravity remain outside the event horizon" is the same one that makes the earth orbiting around the sun - the curvature of space-time...

4. Mar 26, 2009 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yes, gravity is the effect of the curvature of space-time. It is not susceptible to the black hole's pull, it is the black hole's pull.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook