Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Black Hole in SUperman Returns

1. Jul 2, 2006 #1
    did anyone see this movie? and whats your opinion on the black hole that was shown at the end of the beginning credits? for those of you who didnt see it and will not. a black hole sucked up a sun and after that, there was a explosion of white light which i assumed was the hawking radiation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2006 #2

JesseM

Science Advisor

My memory of that scene isn't precise, but I'm pretty sure the black disc was the silhouette of Krypton before it was destroyed by the exploding sun, not a black hole. Anyway, regardless of what the filmmakers intended, Hawking radiation would only be explosive for a microscopic black hole, the Hawking radiation from a macroscopic black hole is extremely weak.

4. Jul 2, 2006 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not having seen the movie (and probably not going to ) it sounds like a Type Ia supernova. Hawking radiation is a long, slow emission surrounding any singularity. A type Ia SN occurs in a binary star system, when one of the stars starts to strip the envelope of gas from the other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?