Lab Fireball at RHIC May Have Black Hole Characteristics

In summary, a US particle accelerator has created a fireball that has the characteristics of a black hole. This work has been published on the pre-print website arxiv.org, and is reported in New Scientist magazine. The laboratory that created the fireball has stated that black holes cannot be created, but this story may be relevant reading for those who are interested in the topic.
polyb
Here is something interesting that I'm sure others here will find to have corollary to other threads. This one is pretty neat though I posted it here just for starters!

Lab fireball 'may be black hole'

A fireball created in a US particle accelerator has the characteristics of a black hole, a physicist has said.

It was generated at the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) in New York, US, which smashes beams of gold nuclei together at near light speeds.

Horatiu Nastase says his calculations show that the core of the fireball has a striking similarity to a black hole.

His work has been published on the pre-print website arxiv.org and is reported in New Scientist magazine.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4357613.stm

This one will be interesting to watch!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The paper is very interesting and a potential breakthrough, but requires further study. Some of the authors interpretations appear speculative. I checked some prior works by Nastase, and they too appear a bit speculative. His publication record is weak. That does not diminish the reference. I'm just playing the skeptic here.

This may have been the wrong reaction but when I read this story this morning my first thought was of John Titor's time machine... :O

lol

^^ i read this about a week ago and had the same thought check.

Dam. This has got to be the second news story of Brookhaven National Laboratory involving RHIC and black holes. What's odd about this is that BNL officially said there is no way that black holes can be created. Here is a link to the laboratories official stance on the little black holes. This should be relevant reading. My stance is that it's a myth.
http://www.bnl.gov/rhic/docs/rhicreport.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is RHIC?

RHIC stands for Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider. It is a particle accelerator located at Brookhaven National Laboratory in New York, used to study nuclear matter and the fundamental interactions of subatomic particles.

2. How was the lab fireball at RHIC created?

The lab fireball at RHIC was created by colliding gold ions at nearly the speed of light. This collision created a hot and dense state of matter known as a quark-gluon plasma, similar to the conditions after the Big Bang.

3. What are the black hole characteristics observed in the lab fireball at RHIC?

Scientists have observed the formation of a circular and dense core in the lab fireball, similar to a black hole's event horizon. This core is surrounded by a low-density halo, similar to what is observed in astrophysical black holes.

4. Could this lab fireball at RHIC actually be a black hole?

No, the lab fireball at RHIC does not have enough mass to form a black hole. The core observed is also not a singularity, which is a key characteristic of a black hole. The similarities in structure are purely coincidental and allow scientists to study black hole properties in a controlled laboratory setting.

5. What implications does this lab fireball have for our understanding of black holes?

The lab fireball at RHIC provides a way for scientists to study and test theories about black holes in a controlled environment. This can help us better understand the behavior and properties of black holes and their role in the universe.