Black Hole Information Paradox and Alcubierre Warp Drives

In summary, there is some theoretical possibility that a warp drive could enter an event horizon of a black hole and exit with information. However, this is not "surely" the case, and there are some arguments against it. Further, wormholes are a better candidate for horizon crossing because they are believed to be easier to create in principle and may have connections to the information paradox.
O10infinity
Suppose Alcubierre warp drives or some alternative form of warp drive is possible. Then surely a warp drive could enter the event horizon of a black hole, observe the interior, and exit the horizon, returning with information from within the black hole. What about black holes never visited by a civilization with warp drives? Perhaps in quantum gravity there exist ‘Alcubierre particles’ which travel faster than light. These differ from tachyons in that they would have real rest mass. If they are stable they could be used by astronomers to observe black holes interiors and parts of the universe to distant to be observed by light. If they are unstable they could still survive long enough to exit an event horizon carrying information. Where does this leave the black hole information paradox?

Physics news on Phys.org
O10infinity said:
Suppose Alcubierre warp drives or some alternative form of warp drive is possible. Then surely a warp drive could enter the event horizon of a black hole, observe the interior, and exit the horizon, returning with information from within the black hole.
Hi O10infinity, welcome to PF!

That is an interesting question. I think that it is far from "surely" the case that it could enter the event horizon observe and exit, but I suppose it could be possible. I can see some arguments for it, but I would tend to think in terms of a pair of wormholes rather than an Alcubierre drive.

I don't know of any papers on the subject, and we really need the discussion to be in keeping with the professional literature. Perhaps some of the other members know of one.

Last edited:
What could prevent a warp drive from entering and exiting an event horizon? Remember that in GR the region near an event horizon doesn't have particularly strong curvature. The tidal forces near a supermassive black hole will be small, so the spacetime around the warp drive will be nearly flat when it crosses the event horizon. For it not to work, we need something special about the event horizon which will destroy the warp drive or create a barrier to escaping the black hole.

Is there anything which favors wormholes over warp drives for horizon crossing?

DaleSpam said:
Hi O10infinity, welcome to PF!

That is an interesting question. I think that it is far from "surely" the case that it could enter the event horizon observe and exit, but I suppose it could be possible. I can see some arguments for it, but I would tend to think in terms of a pair of wormholes rather than an Alcubierre drive.

I don't know of any papers on the subject, and we really need the discussion to be in keeping with the professional literature. Perhaps some of the other members know of one.

O10infinity said:
What could prevent a warp drive from entering and exiting an event horizon? Remember that in GR the region near an event horizon doesn't have particularly strong curvature. The tidal forces near a supermassive black hole will be small, so the spacetime around the warp drive will be nearly flat when it crosses the event horizon. For it not to work, we need something special about the event horizon which will destroy the warp drive or create a barrier to escaping the black hole.

Is there anything which favors wormholes over warp drives for horizon crossing?

My intuition agrees with yours (that a warp drive could enter and leave the horizon), but intuition in GR is very unreliable. It needs to be calculated. Like Dalespam, I have not come across a paper on this, but I also never looked very hard. So I wouldn't say I know the answer. At most I have a hunch that is the same as yours.

A few points: you speak of warp drives as if they exist. It is not known that they exist, it is not known if they could exist in our universe (because of the negative mass requirement to build one). This leaves them as not being very relevant to the information paradox (especially that it is not known if they could exist, even in principle). I, and I believe many (but far from all) physicists would bet that they cannot exist at all in our universe.

The reason wormholes are a better candidate is that at least unstable worm holes are believed to follow from initial conditions that we know could be set up, in principle. Further, their possible connection to the information paradox is an area of current research. There was a recent paper on just this topic by Juan Maldacena and Leonard Susskind.

The black hole information paradox is a fundamental problem in theoretical physics that arises from the concept of black holes and the laws of quantum mechanics. It suggests that information about matter entering a black hole is lost forever, contradicting the principle of information conservation.

The idea of using Alcubierre warp drives or other forms of faster-than-light travel to enter and observe the interior of a black hole is certainly intriguing. However, it is important to note that the concept of warp drives is still purely theoretical and has not been proven to be possible. Therefore, any conclusions drawn from this hypothetical scenario must be taken with caution.

Furthermore, even if warp drives were possible and a civilization was able to enter a black hole and observe its interior, it is uncertain if they would be able to retrieve any information. The intense gravitational forces and extreme conditions inside a black hole could make it impossible to gather and transmit information back to the outside world.

The idea of using "Alcubierre particles" to observe black holes and distant parts of the universe is also an interesting concept. However, it is important to note that these particles are purely hypothetical and have not been observed or detected in any way. Therefore, their properties and behavior are still largely unknown and it is impossible to make any definitive conclusions about their potential use for observing black holes.

In summary, while the idea of using warp drives or Alcubierre particles to observe black holes and potentially solve the black hole information paradox is intriguing, it is important to approach these concepts with caution and recognize their speculative nature. Further research and experimentation is needed to fully understand the behavior of black holes and potential methods for observing them.

1. What is the Black Hole Information Paradox?

The Black Hole Information Paradox is a theoretical problem in physics that arises when considering the behavior of information in and around black holes. According to the laws of quantum mechanics, information cannot be destroyed, but when matter falls into a black hole, it appears that the information it contains is lost forever.

2. How does the Alcubierre Warp Drive work?

The Alcubierre Warp Drive is a hypothetical concept that suggests it may be possible to manipulate spacetime in a way that allows for faster-than-light travel. It involves creating a "warp bubble" around a spacecraft, which would contract the space in front of it and expand the space behind it, effectively allowing the spacecraft to travel faster than the speed of light without actually breaking the laws of physics.

3. Can information escape from a black hole?

According to the currently accepted theory of black holes, information cannot escape from a black hole. This is due to the strong gravitational pull of the black hole, which prevents anything, including light, from escaping once it has passed the event horizon.

4. Is the Alcubierre Warp Drive possible?

At this time, the Alcubierre Warp Drive is purely theoretical, and there is no evidence to suggest that it is possible to create a warp bubble or manipulate spacetime in the way that is required for faster-than-light travel. However, some scientists continue to study and explore the concept, and it is not completely ruled out as a possibility in the future.

5. What are the implications of solving the Black Hole Information Paradox?

If the Black Hole Information Paradox can be solved, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the laws of physics, particularly in regards to the behavior of matter and information in extreme environments. It could also potentially lead to advancements in our understanding of quantum mechanics and the nature of spacetime.