Black hole jets/magnetic field

In summary, Coiled up magnetic fields are believed to be the cause of the observed jets along the axis of rotation of black holes. It is unclear where the magnetic field originates from, but it is presumed to not come from the black hole itself. The matter in the accretion disk is thought to create the magnetic field, but the specific properties and dynamics of this matter are unknown. The matter ejected in the jets does not have a specific charge and it is currently unknown what properties it may have.
danh0000
I have read that coiled up magnetic fields are responsible for the jets that are observed along the axis of rotation of black holes.

I'm having trouble visualizing the "coiled up" magnetic field and where it comes from?

I presume that the field does not come from the matter in the black hole itself, right?

If it comes from the matter in the accretion disk, what are the properties and dynamics of the matter creating the field?

What are the properties of the matter being spewed in the jets in either direction? Any particular charge?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I get it: we don't know yet.

1. What are black hole jets?

Black hole jets are powerful and highly energetic streams of particles that are emitted from the poles of a black hole. These jets can travel at nearly the speed of light and can extend for millions of light years.

2. How are black hole jets formed?

Black hole jets are formed as a result of the intense magnetic fields surrounding a black hole. As matter falls into the black hole, it is accelerated and heated, causing it to emit high-energy radiation and form a jet along the magnetic field lines.

3. What role do magnetic fields play in black hole jets?

Magnetic fields play a crucial role in the formation and behavior of black hole jets. They are responsible for channeling and accelerating the particles in the jet, as well as shaping its structure and controlling its direction.

4. Can black hole jets be observed?

Yes, black hole jets can be observed using telescopes that detect high-energy radiation, such as X-rays and gamma rays. These jets can also be observed indirectly through their impact on the surrounding environment, such as the formation of shock waves.

5. How do black hole jets affect their surroundings?

Black hole jets can have a significant impact on their surroundings. They can heat up and ionize the surrounding gas, triggering star formation and affecting the evolution of galaxies. They can also create shock waves that can accelerate particles and produce high-energy radiation.