Exploring Black Hole Orbits: An Interactive Animation

In summary, George has created an interactive animation to teach about orbits around Schwarzschild black holes using Java. The animation takes user input for initial coordinates and speed, and is accompanied by short explanations and write-ups for virtual experiments. George has attached a zipped file with all necessary files for others to view and interact with the animation. Some users have reported glitches and issues with the animation, and George may eventually make the human-readable source code available for public scrutiny. George has also attached a PDF document explaining the programming ideas behind the animation and plans to make another post discussing the physics and numerical methods used.
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm new to PF, but in the shotr time ( a little more than 24 hours) since I registered, I've enjoyed myself. Some people hear might (or might not) be interested in the following.

In order to teach myself some Java, I have developed an interactive animation that shows orbits (timelike geodesics parametrized by proper time) about Schwarzschild black holes. The animation takes as input from the user the initial r coordinate, and the initial speed and angle with respect to an orthonormal frame of a platform hovering (and experiencing an incredibly large "g-force") at that r value.

The animation sits in a frame in a bunch of hyperlinked html files. These files contain a number of short explanations and write-ups for some suggested virtual experiments that can be performed with the package.

Experiment 1: Falling Into a Black Hole
Experiment 2: Escape Velocity
Experiment 3: Investigation of Stable Circular Orbits
Experiment 4: Investigation of Unstable Circular Orbits
Experiment 5: Investigation of Spiral Orbits
Experiment 6: Gravity Bends Light Rays!
Experiment 7: Boundaries Between Orbits of Various Kinds
Experiment 8: Orbital Precession and Closed Orbits

I've had a lot of fun (and some frustrations) developing and playing with the package. If anyone else out there in cyberspace thinks that they might enjoy fooling around with the animation, I have attached a zipped file that contains all the necessary files. To use the animation, unzip the zipped file, making sure that all files are extracted into the same folder. (A new folder should probably created before doing this.) Click on the file blackHoleOrbits.html to view and interact with the animation.

The animation is certainly not at a professional level, and it has glitches and warts. For example, on some machines, The Trail checkbox, which should be to the right of theAngle input field, does not appear.

Regards,
George

Attachments

• Black_Hole.zip
    24.1 KB · Views: 214
Physics news on Phys.org
Neat. A few comments though. Using Safari as a browser (on an Apple under OSX 10.3.9) I don't get an input area for the angle, and I don't get a 'trail' button. Using Internet Explorer those problems go away, but the buttons within the text are in almost the same colour as the background, and so completely unreadable for me. (Are you colour blind, perhaps? As well as being 'blind' to certain colour differences, colour blind people are actually more sensitive to other colour differences.)

I'm a bit surprised at the timings. I guess you are running it at 1:x model seconds to proper seconds, is that right? If so, you ought perhaps to point out that to a distant observer the orbits at low radius would look slower.
Nigel Martin

Would you be willing to make the human-readable source code available? It looks like a fun toy. The colors do seem to act "glitchy" on my machine, though.

pervect said:
Would you be willing to make the human-readable source code available? It looks like a fun toy. The colors do seem to act "glitchy" on my machine, though.

I'd eventually like to have another at fixing up the code myself before I make it available for public scrutiny. I'm not sure when this is going to happen.

I would enjoy discussing some of the ideas behind the program. I've attached a pdf document about the some of the programming ideas. I wrote this document for a high school computer science teacher who wanted to know how the animation works. In the article, t is proper time.

This article starts with a simple system of ODE's without saying where they came from. I'll make another post that derives the equations from Schwarzschild, but the ideas are much same as you have used in the thread Acceleration At The Event Horizon on the Stellar Astrophysics Forum. I have just posted my take (very similar to yours) on velocities there (after a couple of botched attempts). I'll also post here a bit about the physics and numerical methods used for closed orbits (Experiment 8).

Regrads,
George

Attachments

• BlackHoleOrbits_2.pdf
    96.7 KB · Views: 285

1. How does the animation of black hole orbits work?

The animation of black hole orbits is created using computer simulations based on Einstein's theory of general relativity. The simulations take into account the mass and spin of the black hole, as well as the motion of any surrounding objects, to accurately depict the orbits.

2. What causes the orbits around a black hole to be so extreme?

The extreme orbits around a black hole are caused by the strong gravitational pull of the black hole. The closer an object gets to the black hole, the stronger the gravitational force becomes, leading to extreme acceleration and curvature of the orbit.

3. Can black hole orbits change over time?

Yes, black hole orbits can change over time due to various factors such as the presence of other objects in the vicinity, the emission of gravitational waves, and the rotation of the black hole itself. These changes can be seen in the animation over long periods of time.

4. How accurate are the animations of black hole orbits?

The animations of black hole orbits are based on scientific data and simulations, making them fairly accurate. However, they are still simplified representations and may not account for all variables and complexities of real-life black hole systems.

5. Can we observe black hole orbits in real life?

While we cannot directly observe black hole orbits, we can indirectly detect their presence through the effects they have on surrounding objects, such as the gravitational lensing of light. This allows us to study and understand black hole orbits through observations and simulations.