Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Black hole paradox solved?

1. Jul 20, 2004 #1
    Forgive me, but I don't know the source of this. Has anyone heard anything about...

?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2004 #2
  4. Jul 20, 2004 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There are at least two active threads on this in General Astronomy...

Bottom line though, he hasn't made his speach yet.

5. Jul 21, 2004 #4
    I asked this on "general astronomy" and got no answer. Anyone?

"When Hawking presents his paper with the explanations for what I read here, when and how do we (the public) get to see what he said and read the explanations?

Thanks."

Last edited: Jul 21, 2004
  6. Jul 21, 2004 #5
  7. Jul 22, 2004 #6
    Hawking announcement and supporting information

I am perplexed that the announcement has not been followed by the supporting documentation.

8. Jul 22, 2004 #7

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

The transcript of Hawking's talk at the conference Wednesday has been
    circulating. I posted a link to it here at PF the same day

there's been a fair amount of discussion at various blog sites and at sci.physics.research

you might like to look at the comments to Peter Woit's blog about Hawking at the "Not Even Wrong" site

http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/blog/

or the comments at Sean Carroll's blog at "Preposterous Universe"

http://preposterousuniverse.blogspot.com/

More documentation (perhaps a more detailed paper from Hawking, which might have more satisfactory explanation in it, or might not) is likely to appear with time. But I wouldnt say that there is, even now, a complete absence of documentation. whether one finds it persuasive or not is another matter

Last edited: Jul 22, 2004
  9. Jul 23, 2004 #8
    I wonder if Professor Hawking is confusing mathematical models with reality?
    I think that maybe perhaps he is.
    Also, what happened to 'knowing the mind of God' , as promised in Brief History of Time ?
    Will Professor Hawking announce next year that we can't really know the mind of God after all ?

10. Jul 27, 2004 #9
    Thanks to Marcus, I have retreated the summation of Professor Hawking’s argument regarding his recent announcement. I will be a long time trying to understand his proof for his position and the summation will not be enough for my review. What I find much more intriguing are the possibilities that his conclusion brings.

Where might we find his entire proof?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?