Black Hole Parameters: Mass, Angular Momentum, Charge & More

In summary, black holes are characterized by three parameters- mass, angular momentum, and charge. It is unknown if black holes can vibrate, but it is possible. If a frame of reference is moving relative to a black hole, the black hole appears different. Other parameters that might be associated with a black hole are mass, angular momentum, charge, and temperature. There may be additional properties that affect these two variables, but they have not been explicitly defined. The black body radiation of a black hole does not provide any extra information. Finally, according to the author, black holes might have additional properties that are yet to be discovered.
michael879
Ive taken a general relativity course and in it we learned about how black holes are characterized by the parameters of mass, angular momentum, and charge. I have some questions about other parameters though.

1) Can a black hole have a vibrational parameter? This would really only be applicable in a rotating black hole, where the singularity is a ring rather than a point. It seems to me that some massive object could cause vibrations in this ring by exerting a greater force on the close end than on the far end. Even if this scenario isn't the explanation, can black holes vibrate? And if so, what are the modified equations using this vibration?

2) In a frame of reference that is moving relative to a black hole, does the black hole appear differently? i.e. are the equations describing the black hole modified at all? Since the relativistic mass gained by the black hole is not uniform in all directions (I recall seeing a picture of an ellipsoid to describe it), it seems like the black hole might appear differently in a moving frame and Id be interested to see the limit of this difference as the speed approaches c.

3) Are there any other parameters of black holes besides mass, angular momentum, charge (and possibly vibration and speed)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can a black hole have a vibrational parameter?

None is known..but I wonder if mass, charge and momentum are purely theoretical limits??

In a frame of reference that is moving relative to a black hole, does the black hole appear differently?

Charge remains constant, momentum and mass should reflect different observed velocity

Are there any other parameters of black holes besides mass, angular momentum, charge.

I have read repeatedly that's all! But you might also count the entropy displayed on the event horizon area "discovered" by Beckenstein and Hawking...and temperature can be infered from the usual three characteristics. But if any information leaks out via radiation...no consensus, I don't believe. Also, Strominger and Vafa started new string theories...many additional studies since...additional information maybe can be stored and recovered from constituent branes...

I don't believe black holes have even been experimentally proven, but there is lots of evidence..it is strong, but indirect...is it conclusive?? Given that we have no complete theory inside the event horizon, QM and GR breakdown, I'd not be surprised if other things are discovered.

Naty1 said:
I have read repeatedly that's all! But you might also count the entropy displayed on the event horizon area "discovered" by Beckenstein and Hawking...and temperature can be infered from the usual three characteristics. But if any information leaks out via radiation...no consensus, I don't believe. Also, Strominger and Vafa started new string theories...many additional studies since...additional information maybe can be stored and recovered from constituent branes...

I don't believe black holes have even been experimentally proven, but there is lots of evidence..it is strong, but indirect...is it conclusive?? Given that we have no complete theory inside the event horizon, QM and GR breakdown, I'd not be surprised if other things are discovered.

well the reason I am asking is to determine if there any any additional properties that could affect temperature and entropy. I have seen a few equations of the form dM = TdS + phi * dQ + omega*dJ ... (where the ... is included to include any additional parameters). However I have never seen any explicitly defined additional parameters.

Also, the black body radiation of a black hole does not provide any extra information. The radiation is a function of the temperature, which is a function of the parameters of the black hole (mass, charge, spin).

As for velocity, I was really wondering if it would change the shape of the singularity, or of the event horizon (not just the observed mass).

Also, I am talking about the theoretical black holes predicted by GR here, not whatever might exist in reality.

1. What is the mass of a black hole?

The mass of a black hole can range from a few times the mass of our Sun to billions of times the mass of our Sun. The exact mass depends on the size of the black hole and the amount of matter that it has consumed.

2. How is the mass of a black hole measured?

The mass of a black hole is typically measured by observing the gravitational effects it has on its surroundings. Scientists can also measure the mass of a black hole by studying the orbits of stars or gas clouds around it.

3. What is angular momentum in relation to black holes?

Angular momentum is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a central axis. In the case of black holes, angular momentum is an important parameter that determines the shape and behavior of the black hole's event horizon.

4. Can black holes have charge?

Yes, black holes can have charge. This charge is typically acquired by the black hole by consuming charged particles. The charge of a black hole can affect its behavior and interactions with other objects in the surrounding space.

5. How do scientists study the parameters of black holes?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the parameters of black holes, including observations with telescopes and other instruments, simulations and modeling, and theoretical calculations. These methods allow scientists to make predictions and gain a better understanding of the properties of black holes.