Questions about Black Holes: Can Objects Survive? Can Light Go Through?

In summary: I think) they are destroyed.In summary, the black hole does not pull the particles or photon in, but it does curve the spacetime around it, which causes the trajectories of any particles to follow the geodesics. If an object enters the black hole, it is immediately destroyed.
RustyBullet
Hey guys. I have a few questions about black holes.

First. Is it possible for there to exist a big enough object in space that wouldn't be destroyed by a black hole ? Black Holes have gravity so strong that they destroy any object that comes near it. But, if there was a big enough object, would it be possible for the Black Hole to not be able to destroy it, thus the object actually go through the black hole ? Or maybe even have it's own gravity exceed that of the Black Hole, and have the Black Hole sucked in ?

Second. Black Holes have a gravity so strong that even light is sucked in. But I'm thinking... light doesn't have weight, and even if it could be ripped apart (by the Black Hole's gravity), it wouldn't cease to exist.. the light would still be visible, only in many specks of light.
So what I'm asking is, would'nt light go through the Black Hole, and be still be visible when it reaches the other side ?

Thanks =]

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Even the light responds to gravity. For example a box with a perfect mirror has more gravitational force when it has a lot of photons inside.
Photons in black hole will be attracted to the center of BH and will join the pure mass or pure energy party. In there they loose their past and become a pure tiny thing of volume almost zero or zero. But the overall charge and mass will be preserved.

First question:

For an object to be able to withstand the strong gravitational force of the black hole, it will have to be incredibly dense, more so than anything we have seen thus far. The closer this object gets to the singularity of the black hole, the stronger will the gravitational force be, but what happens when an object enters the singularity is unknown, but many believe that anything that will enter the singularity will be instantly destroyed. Remember that these are just theories since we do not have the scientific skill, nor the resources to get any type of proof.

Second question:

Many people, when they hear the phrase that light won't escape, think that light does not have mass, but light is made out (as you probably know) by photons, which is matter. Light is photons, that is moving at extremely high speeds. So in all sense, the Black Hole doesn't bend light itself, it bends matter which light is made of.

Last edited:
Division said:
light is made out (as you probably know) by electrons

I'm afraid that's not so.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm afraid that's not so.

Corrected it.

I don't think this is any clearer.

Division said:
So in all sense, the Black Hole doesn't bend light itself, it bends matter which light is made of.

Huh?

I am sorry about the way this sounds, but I can't seem to phrase this in a way that doesn't sound so harsh, and I apologize. But do you know what you are talking about here?

Division said:
Many people, when they hear the phrase that light won't escape, think that light does not have mass, but light is made out (as you probably know) by photons, which is matter. Light is photons, that is moving at extremely high speeds. So in all sense, the Black Hole doesn't bend light itself, it bends matter which light is made of.

umm, photons do not have any mass. The reason why light is affected by black holes/gravity in because of warping and curving of space - gravity is not thought to be a vector like force. Photons follow the "surface" of space-time. If curving is extremely strong as is the case with black holes, light won't be able to escape it

the escape velocity of the black hole is greater than that of speed of light 3X10^8 ms^-1, so when light gets caught in the black hole there is no chance for it to get out
earth has an escape velocity of 11.2km/s just to let you know !

:wink:

Could some black holes be a vaccumm held open by matter and energy, surounding it?

Last edited:
No, that bears no resemblance to what black holes are.

Could some black holes be vaccumms held open by surounding matter and energy.

sorry I guess I'm confusing black holes, with a vortex. That holds open a vaccumm, light can not enter.

Last edited:
A compact body curves the spacetime in its vicinity.In General relativity,there arent any forces.The gravitation is directly feature of curved spacetime.So mass curved spacetime and particles have to move in geodesics.Geodesics are shortest paths in spacetime.
If a body collapse under its gravitaion and when it reaches Schwarzschild radius it become a black hole.Blackholes don't pull the particles or photon.They curved the spacetime and so trajectories of any particles must follow the geodesics.And these geodesics are created by black hole.The paths of particles end up in real singularity.But when particle or photon cross the event horizon(Schwazschild radius) they can't come back.They don't escape.

Last edited:

1. Can objects survive in a black hole?

No, once an object crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it is unable to escape and will be pulled into the singularity at the center, where it will be crushed and destroyed.

2. Can light pass through a black hole?

No, light cannot pass through a black hole. The intense gravitational pull of a black hole is so strong that it bends the path of light, trapping it within the event horizon. As a result, nothing, including light, can escape from a black hole.

3. Is it possible for an object to orbit around a black hole?

Yes, it is possible for an object to orbit around a black hole. This is known as a stable orbit and it occurs when the object's orbital velocity is high enough to counteract the gravitational pull of the black hole.

4. Can anything escape from a black hole?

No, nothing can escape from a black hole. The escape velocity, or the speed needed to break free from the gravitational pull of a black hole, is greater than the speed of light. This means that even light, the fastest moving thing in the universe, cannot escape from a black hole.

5. Can we see inside a black hole?

No, we cannot see inside a black hole. The intense gravitational pull of a black hole prevents anything, including light, from escaping. This means that we cannot directly observe what is happening inside a black hole. However, scientists can study the effects of a black hole on its surroundings to gain insight into its properties.