What is the ratio of radii for a black hole and steel ball in equilibrium?

In summary: The radius r would really be the radius of the event horizon, which I wouldn't call the radius of the black hole. A black hole in equilibrium has all its mass concentrated at a point of zero size.
JohnBarlow
My first post here, hope to have more...

I have an idea/question probably brought about by watching too much Discovery Channel and I don't know who to ask, but I found this place so here goes.

Consider a black hole of radius r at the centre of a steel ball of radius R, where R>>r. I am not considering how it got there or whether steel is important - its just the way it is.

Now I am led to believe that the interior of the steel ball would be consumed by the black hole, until one of two things happen; either
a) the steel ball is completely consumed or
b) a state of equilibrium emerges where the interior is hollowed out leaving the black hole at the centre of a steel shell which resists further consumption because of the compressive strength of the ball and the distance of its thick shell from the black hole.

my question is - what is the ratio of R to r for condition b) to arise and what kind of gravity would the steel shell have compared to the earth?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, JohnBarlow,

Welcome to PF!

JohnBarlow said:
my question is - what is the ratio of R to r for condition b) to arise and what kind of gravity would the steel shell have compared to the earth?

The radius r would really be the radius of the event horizon, which I wouldn't call the radius of the black hole. A black hole in equilibrium has all its mass concentrated at a point of zero size.

The condition on R for the ball to remain stable would depend on the mass of the black hole and the mechanical properties of steel. All that can be guaranteed by simple relativistic arguments is that any part of the ball inside r will be consumed.

The gravity of the ball+hole would be the same as it was before you brought them together. It would depend on the mass of the black hole and the mass of the steel ball.

bcrowell said:
The radius r would really be the radius of the event horizon, which I wouldn't call the radius of the black hole. A black hole in equilibrium has all its mass concentrated at a point of zero size.

HUH? What does the event horizon have to do with answering this question? If I have it right, this paragraph even contradicts the one directly under it, which IS a correct statement of the result.

What is a black hole thought experiment?

A black hole thought experiment is a theoretical scenario used to explore the properties and behavior of black holes, which are extremely dense objects in space with gravitational pull so strong that not even light can escape from them.

How does a black hole thought experiment work?

A black hole thought experiment typically involves setting up a hypothetical situation and using equations and logic to predict the outcome based on known principles of physics. This allows scientists to study and understand the behavior of black holes without being able to physically observe them.

Why are black hole thought experiments important?

Black hole thought experiments are important because they allow scientists to explore and test theories about black holes, which are objects that are difficult to observe directly. They also help in understanding the fundamental laws of physics and the nature of space and time.

What are some famous black hole thought experiments?

One famous black hole thought experiment is the "black hole bomb" proposed by physicist Freeman Dyson, which suggests that a highly charged black hole could release energy in the form of gamma rays. Another famous thought experiment is the "information paradox" proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking, which questions what happens to information that falls into a black hole.

What can we learn from black hole thought experiments?

Black hole thought experiments help us understand the behavior and properties of black holes, including their gravitational pull, event horizon, and effects on space and time. They also provide insights into the laws of physics and can be used to test and refine current theories, such as general relativity.