Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Black Hole Thought

1. Nov 20, 2004 #1
    I don't know much about the subject of BlackHoles, but could someone tell me if this is correct: "As a BlackHole sucks in an object the mass will either disappear or reduce significantly."

":" is a ratio

Object approaches Speed of Light : Positive Mass (or build up of mass as it approaches speed of light) = BlackHole's gravity (Slows object down) : Negative Mass (Mass is going away)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2004 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anything falling into a black hole simply increases the mass of the black hole.

4. Nov 20, 2004 #3
    No no, I'm asking if the object falling into the black hole will decrease in mass.

EDIT: or does the object just keep it's mass and fall into the blackhole?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  5. Nov 20, 2004 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Correct. No mass loss. The relativistic mass increases due to gravitational acceleration

6. Nov 21, 2004 #5
    When a particle pair drop into black hole, the positive energy will turn into negative energy and vice-versa due to the strong gravity force of black hole. Thus, the negative energy drop into the black hole and decrease the energy of the black hole. According to E=mc^2, the mass of black hole will decrease, not increase. The mass of the particle drop in to the black hole simply release into space through radiation. In another terms, it is something like recycle.

7. Nov 21, 2004 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

That is a dog of a different color. The quantum mechanical explanation for Hawking radiation is what you are describing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?