Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Black holes and firewalls

1. Jul 12, 2016 #1
    Hello :)
    Before I get to my topic I want to adress that I am new to this website and wish to apologize if my thread is incorrectly placed.

I am interested in black holes and lately I have been trying to find some math which lays the basis for a black hole firewall. Sadly I haven't been able to find what I am looking for and I was wondering if somebody could tell me where to find this.

Again, I am pretty sure my thread is incorrectly placed and I am really sorry about that.

Thanks for the help and I wish you a wonderful day.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2016 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What is a "black hole firewall"?

[ EDIT ] Oh.
    "...a hypothetical phenomenon where an observer that falls into an old black hole encounters high-energy quanta at (or near) the event horizon.

Some scientists suggest that the entanglement [of Hawking radiation involving two mutually entangled particles] must somehow get immediately broken between the infalling particle and the outgoing particle. Breaking this entanglement would release inconceivable amounts of energy, thus creating a searing "black hole firewall" at the black hole event horizon."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall_(physics)

4. Jul 13, 2016 #3
    Oh okey. Thank you so much :)

5. Jul 21, 2016 #4
    Cool concept, thanks for the explanation, DaveC426913. But that's an awful lot of energy.... it's....
    inconceivable.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted