Black Holes: Is the Hubble Image Real?

In summary: The distinguishing feature is not just the event horizon's silhouette but also the prominent first Einstein ring.
dtmmfam
I had a conversation with a friend about Black Hole images. I showed him a picture of a black hole taken by the Hubble telescope shown here:

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/1995/47/image/a/

He claims that it's not a direct image of a black hole because we can't see black holes directly. That is merely the matter surrounding it that has been affected by the gravitational pull.

I believe that it is an actual image of a black hole. Objects require some source of light or medium to form an image. Without these mediums there would be no images so I contend that there is no such thing as a "direct image."

So is that an image of a black hole?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
By your own source, the black hole is only light-minutes in size whereas that image is of something else that is light-centuries in size.

Moreover, of course you can have a direct image of a black hole, can you not photograph a shadow or silhouette?

It is a black hole indeed, but if you were to look through a telescope to that area of space, you would not see anything. That is why we use special telescopes and computers to be able to spot the radiation and energy emitted from the black hole.

its probably an xray or some kind of thermal photograph.

also how does a black hole weigh anything since it is not made of anything but gravity? or is it just the total mass of everything being sucked in?

Black holes are former stars that have gone supernova, in which the core of the star has collapsed into what we call i singularity. A black hole doesn't have mass pre-se, but it is this singularity that we measure.

Black holes do have mass. The mass is how you determine the Schwarzschild radius. Black holes are nothing more than very dense matter.

dtmmfam.. http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/arc...95/47/image/a/
I liked the picture, quite good quality. I wish we have an even better telescope. Scientists say the BH core, the serious part is relatively small, so the bright lights around should come from materials around, but the image will change depending on the observing angle, because the materials will orbit the BH mostly in a plane like our planets do the sun, but those materials are very fast moving and so can collide each other violently.

Last edited:
cesiumfrog said:
By your own source, the black hole is only light-minutes in size whereas that image is of something else that is light-centuries in size.

Moreover, of course you can have a direct image of a black hole, can you not photograph a shadow or silhouette?
I basically agree, though as a practical matter, the first thing makes the second unlikely. However, I'm wondering if anyone has run a simulation of what it would look like if a black hole passed in front of a star and we had front row tickets. Would it look anything like an eclipse or would gravitational lensing cause the star to be so distorted you really can't see a "shadow" of the black hole?

That said, I don't think we would include the requirement that a disk is visible if the question was applied to stars...

I agree that that we cannot see black holes directly because they don't emit visible light. The question of whether we can see an image of a black hole is debatable, and i believe it becomes a metaphysical question.

It's similar to "if a tree falls and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

russ_watters said:
I'm wondering if anyone has run a simulation of what it would look like if a black hole passed in front of a star and we had front row tickets.
http://dspace.anu.edu.au/handle/1885/43269" in fact you only had to look as far as wikipedia or google..

The distinguishing feature is not just the event horizon's silhouette but also the prominent first Einstein ring.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape its grasp. It is formed when a massive star collapses under its own gravity, creating a singularity - a point of infinite density and zero volume.

2. How was the Hubble image of a black hole captured?

The Hubble Space Telescope used a technique called Very Long Baseline Interferometry (VLBI) to capture the first direct image of a black hole. This involved combining data from multiple telescopes around the world to create a virtual telescope with a resolution equivalent to that of a telescope the size of the Earth.

3. Is the Hubble image of a black hole real?

Yes, the Hubble image of a black hole is real. It is a result of years of research, data collection, and collaboration among scientists and engineers. The image has been peer-reviewed and confirmed by multiple independent teams.

4. What can we learn from the Hubble image of a black hole?

The Hubble image of a black hole provides valuable insights into the structure and behavior of these mysterious objects. It confirms the existence of black holes, which were previously only theorized, and provides evidence for the existence of event horizons - the point of no return for objects falling into a black hole. It also allows scientists to study the effects of extreme gravity, which can help us better understand the laws of physics.

5. Can we ever visit a black hole?

Currently, it is not possible for humans to physically visit a black hole. The extreme gravity and radiation near a black hole would make it impossible for any spacecraft to survive. However, future advancements in technology may make it possible to send robotic probes to study black holes up close.