Explore Black Holes & Time: Is Time Stopping Possible?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of black holes and the concept of time stopping at the event horizon. The original question asks if it is possible to create a bubble where time completely stops, and the discussion delves into the effects of gravity on time and the behavior of matter near a black hole. The conversation also touches on the debate between Stephen Hawking and a plumber regarding the destruction of information in black holes. Ultimately, the summary concludes that time does not stop at the event horizon and gravity is not infinite, and the possibility of the original idea is still uncertain.
dogman 6126
hello, I am new to this forum so I am not sure if this is the right spot for me to post my idea, but here it is. :smile:

i was talking to a friend about differnt questions about how things work when he asked the fallowing question: "is it possible to creat a bubble where time completely stops?" i told him i didint think so, so i tried to explain why when a thought came to me. it was of black holes. from what i have heard on tv and what i have read about black holes, the closer you get to them, the slower time goes. this is because of gravity getting stronger correct? so since the black hole itself is of infinite gravity, does that mean that where the black hole itself is, time would stop? if this is so, when something would enter into a black hole, it would not be expelled as radiation, it would be frozen in time in the black hole. if this is true, this would also mean that black holes would expand right? everything would keep piling on top of everything else. everything that is added on would then increase the gravity and expand the time difference. it would also explain why light can't escape. it couldn't advance because it is frozen in time.

again I am new to this so some of this info might be off, but is this possible?:shy::confused::smile:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
time stops at the event horizon and gravity isn't even infinite there

granpa said:
time stops at the event horizon and gravity isn't even infinite there
what do you mean?

what do you mean 'what you you mean'?
I mean exactly what I mean.

how can gravity stop being infinate? are you saying that gravity doesn't exist in a black hole? that doesn't make sense.

the gravity at the event horizon isn't infinite
it would only be infinite at the singularity

why would the gravity not be infinate at the event horizon? also, what's the difference between a singularaty and a black hole? arnt they basicly the same thing?
sorry if these are stupid questions, I am still in school : )

gravity follows an inverse square law does it not?
1/02=infinity so its infinite at the singularity
1=r2 for r>0 is not infinite

can you tell me what each part of the equation means? what each number represents and each letter? again I am in school, i don't know much about the equations.

it means that the further you are away from a massive body the less its gravity effects you.

so the area around the black hole has the infinate gravity? is that what you mean?

gravity is only infinite at exactly the center point of the black hole. At the very singularity itself.

the singularity is infinitely small.

how old are you
what grade are you in

wait, so does that mean my idea is possible?

im a sophmore in high school

i think i might have missunderstude something. i got a lot of this info off of the show through the wormwhole. the part I am not sure about is the debate between stephen hawking and that plumber guy (cant remember his name). stephen hawking said at first that information was destroyed by black holes, but the plumber guy proved him wrong by saying that it was expelled as radiation (i think). the idea of what i am saying is that since the info would be stopped in time, it wouldn't be given off as radiation as this guy said. I am not sure if this is right though.

Gravity is clearly not infinite at the event horizon. And if it were infinitely strong at the singularity, how would it diminish over distance? This paradox is easily resolved if the singularity has a finite volume, however tiny.

Last edited:

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region of space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is created when a massive star dies and collapses in on itself.

2. How do black holes affect time?

Black holes have such strong gravitational forces that they can warp the fabric of spacetime. This means that time near a black hole moves slower than time in other parts of the universe.

3. Is it possible for time to stop inside a black hole?

According to the theory of relativity, time can slow down but it cannot completely stop. However, near the event horizon (the point of no return) of a black hole, time can appear to stop or move very slowly from an outside observer's perspective.

4. Can we travel through time using black holes?

The concept of time travel through black holes is still purely theoretical and has not been proven. While the extreme gravitational forces of black holes could potentially allow for time dilation, it is currently unknown if it is possible to enter a black hole and emerge in a different time or place.

5. Are there any real-life examples of black holes affecting time?

Yes, there have been several observations of black holes affecting time. For example, in 2014, scientists observed a black hole in a distant galaxy that was spinning so fast that it caused the space around it to rotate, creating a time warp effect. Additionally, the gravitational pull of a black hole can also cause the light from stars and galaxies behind it to appear distorted or stretched, known as gravitational lensing.