Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Black Holes are Tears in Space

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1
    First post. Please be gentle. I`m not a scientist, i`m actually a 3D Artist. I just have a lot of faith in science unfortunately didn`t have the attention span to pay attention enough in high school and even more tragic is that my university didn`t offer any science courses!

I was hoping it would be alright if I came to the Physics Forums with questions or ideas for scientific disapproval or consideration.

Questions such as this one:

Could it be possible that a Black Hole is a tear in space? It seems like it could be a way of explaining why some say you could travel through a black hole or worm hole and wind up somewhere else. If space itself was really in a shape we couldn't comprehend then maybe a tear in one place could wind up opening in an entirely different place. Does that make sense?

Thanks for listening. I appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2010 #2
    Wikipedia handles this quite well

4. Sep 19, 2010 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

White holes are the short answer. It is a theoretical solution to certain types of black holes. None have been observed to date.

5. Sep 19, 2010 #4
    I have often confabulated that our visible
    universe is a black hole when observed from
    the outside. How about the concept that the
    visible universe is a white hole when observed
    from the inside?...a form of symmetry.

6. Sep 19, 2010 #5
    How about an atom is a white hole we do observe from the outside? :bugeye:

7. Sep 19, 2010 #6
    I think "beating a dead horse" must be against PF guidelines...grin, grin

8. Sep 20, 2010 #7
    So our visible universe could be within another universe? Sucking everything into it? Not even light can escape... maybe that could be what powers our universe to grow. Imagine if a star died in another universe and that's how our universe was born.

9. Sep 20, 2010 #8
    It's up to you, what you think a black hole is. It's a prediction that
    could be false, and mere substantiation via indirect evidence is not
    proof.

10. Sep 20, 2010 #9
    Thanks for the reminder, I should find something else to do with my time. :uhh:

11. Sep 20, 2010 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I would remind you all that overly-speculative posts are forbidden by PF rules.

It's one thing to talk about areas of active reseach and currently-published theories; quite another to start supposing and maybe-ing for yourself.

12. Sep 20, 2010 #11
    PF is the very best place to come if you are "fine tuning" ideas
    that you write about at your website(s). If you do not have a
    personal website, then you MUST take the time to get(write)
    one...time well spent.

If you do have a website and are "fine tuning" its ideas, then
    PF is almost better time spent. Really, PF is quite amazing.

I think we both agree that PF is not a place to advertise your
    website or its conclusions. And sarcasm (grin, grin), doesn't
    seem to work anywhere. We all need reality checks.

13. Sep 22, 2010 #12
    I am full of questions, almost all of them concern time, this question "Black Holes are Tears in Space" leaves time out and I don't think you can explain a black hole without it. My question was about fitting a black and white "whole" into my world view in time. :wink:

14. Sep 22, 2010 #13
    I really think this is a good question because an atom does fit one
    of the qualities of a white hole (wiki), in that the probability of
    "falling into" one would be very, very low. Also, photons seem
    never to fall into atoms...as a photon is re-emitted as a
    spectrum of photons in short order, back to us.

Perhaps your concerns about "time" should be qualified by the
    belief that space and time are the same and should(can) not be
    separated conceptually (cosmological principle). Are clocks the
    same as time...are meter-sticks the same as space? Perhaps
    clocks and meter-sticks are just "detectors" of space-time?

15. Sep 23, 2010 #14

Think of the white hole as the little twist we call big bang, after about 380,000 light years it became unstable and broke apart into our massive point particles. One whole particle breaking up into billions of juxtapositions each dilating outwards. Inflation looks to me like the creation of space or the time between these particles. I read once about gravity being repulsive in the early universe, Do you "think" this could have been that "time"?

16. Sep 23, 2010 #15
    I can only think of space-time between particles. The hypotenuse of a right triangle
    with distance being one leg and c * time * i being the other leg where i is the
    square root of negative one. IE, time being on an imaginary orthogonal axis with
    scale factor being c. With the black hole, wormhole, white hole particle being
    a construct to help distribute mass particles more evenly. You might enjoy following
    the thread "What's behind the event horizon?" in cosmology...and please join if
    you have questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook