Can Dark Matter Explain Black Holes and the Mysterious Planet-Nine?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of a small black hole or cluster of dark matter being responsible for the predicted mass in orbit around our solar system. However, the concept of a black hole creating strong pulls of gravity and the fact that we are not being "sucked into" the mass rules out this possibility. Additionally, there are doubts about the connection between dark energy/ matter and black holes, and the need for logical arguments and references to support these ideas. The conversation suggests that more research and evidence is needed to fully understand the role of dark energy and matter in the universe.
Physics_Kid said:
i thought the prediction of the mass was based on all orbits, even the orbit of planet-9 mass. you would need an orbital location of a mass to be able to predict the affects of the other orbits, and vice-versa. so doesn't the model predict the mass required, and its orbit?

It doesn't predict the current location of the planet, but it does predicts its orbit and mass. You don't need the exact position of a large mass to make predictions about what it can do to other objects nearby over time. Just having the orbital properties and the mass is good enough.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Firstly, a Black Hole can be of any size or mass.

Secondly, a BH that has the same solar mass as the Sun will have exactly the same gravitational pull as the Sun but will occupy a space relatively small.
If the Sun was replaced by a BH of the same mass, we would orbit it in exactly the same way as we do. We would not be sucked in

Likes maroubrabeach
DrK said:
Firstly, a Black Hole can be of any size or mass.
See post #52.
DrK said:
We would not be sucked in
Even though I said this off a misconception, I wasn't referring to replacing our sun with a bh. I was referring to a bh with a huge mass in the place of planet 9.

Comeback City said:
See post #52.
@Chronos adressed this more directly in post #27.