Generating Energy from Black Holes: Reachable or Not?

In summary: Maybe there is a language issue here, but your posts (and this whole thread) have been very confusing. In summary, the article was discussing the possibility of generating energy from Hawking radiation that is emitted from black holes. This radiation cannot be destroyed and one person has escaped from a black hole in this way.
ALYAZAN
peace upon u ..

though it's a fantasy but it's a scientific one ..

i've read about the generating energy from black holes

the issue that: is such an extreme science fiction reachable ??

no doubt that wireless connection was a science fiction once upon the time .. but there was a hidden method to reach it ..

now about black holes .. we have no 100% ensured information about conditions around black holes and even - in the first step - no method to reach a place nearby a black hole i mean no mean of transportation ...

do u think it's reachable ...

best wishes

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
ALYAZAN said:
peace upon u ..

though it's a fantasy but it's a scientific one ..

i've read about the generating energy from black holes

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/node/1693 [Broken]

the issue that: is such an extreme science fiction reachable ??

What "science fiction"?

Note that this isn't about "generating energy from black holes". It is about figuring out the source of the ultra-high energy cosmic particle, i.e. where they come from. "Generating energy" implies something that one could tap and use. There's nothing even remotely like that implied at all in the Auger result.

So your connection with "science fiction" here is very puzzling.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
What "science fiction"?

Note that this isn't about "generating energy from black holes". It is about figuring out the source of the ultra-high energy cosmic particle, i.e. where they come from. "Generating energy" implies something that one could tap and use. There's nothing even remotely like that implied at all in the Auger result.

So your connection with "science fiction" here is very puzzling.

Zz.

oh my God !

i was reading this while i was posting this thread ..
it reminded me with an article i read in the scientific american (the arabic version) it was about energies ... but a part of it was about black holes energy ...

that matter annihilates when it reaches the events horizon .. and convetrs into energy .. so there was an idea of generating energy from this fenomenon

ALYAZAN said:
that matter annihilates when it reaches the events horizon .. and convetrs into energy .. so there was an idea of generating energy from this fenomenon

This doesn't happen.

Nabeshin said:
This doesn't happen.

that's what i understod from what i read ...

anyway it's good not to stay believing in a wrong thing ... what happens ??

thank you

Maybe there is a language issue here, but your posts (and this whole thread) have been very confusing.

If language is such a case, then may I suggest that from now on, to avoid such confusion, stick to just one narrow topic at a time when posting in a thread or a post. This thread, for example, is going so fast in many different directions, no event horizon can even contain it.

Zz.

I'm going to take a guess (this may not be correct) at what the article was saying, which should clear this up:

As per quantum mechanics particles are constantly popping in and out of existence. A pair of particles and anti-particles come into being but then annihilate very quickly after forming. However, just occasionally they pop into existence with one inside the event horizon of a BH and one on the outside. In this circumstance, the particles cannot annihilate and one escapes at a cost of the mass of the BH (energy must be conserved). In a sense then, these particles (called hawking radiation) could be used somehow as an energy source.

ZapperZ said:
Maybe there is a language issue here, but your posts (and this whole thread) have been very confusing.

If language is such a case, then may I suggest that from now on, to avoid such confusion, stick to just one narrow topic at a time when posting in a thread or a post. This thread,
Zz.

mm .. i think u r right .. thanks for ur advice

ZapperZ said:
for example, is going so fast in many different directions, no event horizon can even contain it.

lol :rofl: no wonder .. profesional cosmologist

Nabeshin said:
I'm going to take a guess (this may not be correct) at what the article was saying, which should clear this up:

As per quantum mechanics particles are constantly popping in and out of existence. A pair of particles and anti-particles come into being but then annihilate very quickly after forming. However, just occasionally they pop into existence with one inside the event horizon of a BH and one on the outside. In this circumstance, the particles cannot annihilate and one escapes at a cost of the mass of the BH (energy must be conserved). In a sense then, these particles (called hawking radiation) could be used somehow as an energy source.

in the article (the one i read) there is a little sidebar about science fiction energies .. one of them was colliding matter and anti matter .. and the other was to put a mass near a black hole so that the black hole attractes it .. and as energy is conserved then the potetial energy of the mas must be transferable to another form of energy that we can use !

that's what the i read .. but i forgot it and so i was talking about annihilation that don't happen ...

forgive my forget !

best wishes ..

I have a question of the charge of the black hole (BH). If a BH is positively charged, then can we detect it from outside ? Maybe the the strong gravitational force will prevent the charge info from getting outside, for example, even photon can not escape through horizon of event.

1. How can energy be generated from black holes?

Energy can be generated from black holes through a process called Hawking radiation. This is a phenomenon where a black hole emits particles and energy due to quantum effects near its event horizon.

2. Is it possible to harness this energy for practical use?

Currently, there are theoretical proposals for harnessing Hawking radiation from black holes, but it is not yet possible to do so in a practical manner. The technology and engineering required are currently beyond our capabilities.

3. Are there any risks associated with generating energy from black holes?

There are potential risks associated with harnessing energy from black holes, as it involves manipulating incredibly powerful gravitational forces. These risks include the possibility of destabilizing the black hole and causing it to explode, as well as the potential for catastrophic accidents during the energy generation process.

4. What are the potential benefits of generating energy from black holes?

If we are able to successfully harness energy from black holes, it could provide an essentially unlimited source of energy for humanity. This could potentially solve many of our current energy and resource problems and allow for space exploration and colonization.

5. What are the current scientific advancements in this area?

While there are ongoing theoretical studies and proposals for generating energy from black holes, there have not been any significant advancements or breakthroughs in this area. The concept remains largely theoretical and requires further research and technological developments before it can become a reality.