Black Holes Formalism: Overview of Misner Sharp Mass

In summary, the Misner-Sharp mass is a term in the Vaidya metric that arises in the Schwarzschild solution. Matthias Blau's GR Lecture Notes are a highly recommended source for studying this topic. There may be a typo in eq(35.116) on p804 compared to an earlier equation. For those studying Vaidya solutions, it may be helpful to also consult other materials. Outgoing light rays define the event horizon of a black hole, but for an evaporating hole, the specific light rays that define the horizon are slightly outside the horizon, allowing for radiation to escape from just outside the horizon. This is due to the horizon's area slowly decreasing over time.
AHSAN MUJTABA
TL;DR Summary
I want to know by just an introduction along with some example to visualize, that what is Misner Sharp mass?
I am currently studying the Vaidya metrics and I am a bit confused regarding the term Misner Sharp mass, and I am referring to Blau notes and in them the description is very deep which I surely don't need but just an overview. TIA

Space news on Phys.org
AHSAN MUJTABA said:
I am referring to Blau notes

Can you give a specific reference?

@PeterDonis : He's talking about Matthias Blau's GR Lecture Notes. Blau is head of the Gravity and String Theory Group within Bern University. I began using Blau notes some years ago and they have gradually become one of my top 3 go-to sources when I want to check something, or explore some aspect more deeply. I hope Blau eventually finds a publisher for these notes.

@AHSAN MUJTABA : I'm not sure why you're finding this so difficult. The Misner-Sharp mass is essentially just the "M" term which arises in the Schwarzschild solution, but becomes ##M(t,r)## in the more general case of a Vaidya metric if one has a spherically symmetric ##T_{\mu\nu}##.

Can you give us more of a clue about what parts of Blau's treatment you find unclear? You said you were studying Vaidya metrics, but did you mean you're studying them via Blau's notes or are you also using another textbook? If so, which one(s)?

BTW, I think there might be a typo in Blau's eq(35.116) on p804, compared to a related earlier eq(24.82). Could someone else please check?

• Informative
Likes JD_PM
strangerep said:
He's talking about Matthias Blau's GR Lecture Notes.

Thanks for the reference! I have looked at these before, and I agree with you that they are an excellent source.

strangerep said:
I think there might be a typo in Blau's eq(35.116) on p804, compared to a related earlier eq(24.82).

Do you mean you think there ought to be a definition symbol in between ##M_{MS} (t, r)## and ##m(t, r)## in eq. (35.116)?

PeterDonis said:
Do you mean you think there ought to be a definition symbol in between ##M_{MS} (t, r)## and ##m(t, r)## in eq. (35.116)?
Yes, or rather, an equivalence sign "##\equiv##" as in his eq(24.82).

Thanks dear for your reply I am actually reading section 40.2 "interpretations of mass functions in Vaidya metric" In the part of Vaidya Solutions
PeterDonis said:
Thanks for the reference! I have looked at these before, and I agree with you that they are an excellent source.

I am looking Blau and I need to present the topic with a fine background of general relativity(not too deep) as the audience will also be including undergrads and unfortunately I can't find much material for Vaidya solutions

There is a general question, when we say outgoing light rays define the evaporating black holes how can we reconcile it with the concept that no light can escape from the black hole?

I want other material as well to study the Vaidya solutions

AHSAN MUJTABA said:
when we say outgoing light rays define the evaporating black holes how can we reconcile it with the concept that no light can escape from the black hole?

Outgoing light rays define the event horizon of a black hole. That is also true of an evaporating hole, but which particular outgoing light rays are the ones that define the event horizon is different for an evaporating hole than for a non-evaporating hole. The outgoing rays that would have been precisely on the horizon for a non-evaporating hole of a given mass are actually slightly outside the horizon for an evaporating hole of the same mass, so those light rays can escape. So the radiation that is "escaping" from an evaporating hole is not coming from on or inside the actual event horizon of the evaporating hole; it's coming from just outside that horizon.

outgoing means that oour event horizon is dynamical?

AHSAN MUJTABA said:
outgoing means that oour event horizon is dynamical?

"Evaporating" means that the area of the horizon slowly decreases over time.

The area of a hole's horizon can also increase if something falls into it.

PeterDonis said:
Outgoing light rays define the event horizon of a black hole. That is also true of an evaporating hole, but which particular outgoing light rays are the ones that define the event horizon is different for an evaporating hole than for a non-evaporating hole. The outgoing rays that would have been precisely on the horizon for a non-evaporating hole of a given mass are actually slightly outside the horizon for an evaporating hole of the same mass, so those light rays can escape. So the radiation that is "escaping" from an evaporating hole is not coming from on or inside the actual event horizon of the evaporating hole; it's coming from just outside that horizon.
you mean the light cones of an evaporating horizon at the horizon are tilted outside or some part of them is allowing the outgoing light rays to escape?

AHSAN MUJTABA said:
the light cones of an evaporating horizon at the horizon are tilted outside

No, not at the horizon. Just outside the horizon.

1. What is the Misner Sharp mass?

The Misner Sharp mass is a mathematical formalism used to describe the mass of a black hole. It takes into account the mass, energy, and angular momentum of a black hole, and is often used in the study of black hole thermodynamics.

2. How is the Misner Sharp mass calculated?

The Misner Sharp mass is calculated using the Misner-Sharp mass function, which is a mathematical expression that takes into account the gravitational potential of a black hole and the energy density of matter surrounding it. This function is used to calculate the total mass of the black hole at any given time.

3. What is the significance of the Misner Sharp mass in black hole physics?

The Misner Sharp mass is significant because it allows for a better understanding of the properties and behavior of black holes. It is used in various equations and theories, such as the first law of black hole thermodynamics and the Hawking radiation formula.

4. How does the Misner Sharp mass relate to the event horizon of a black hole?

The Misner Sharp mass is closely related to the event horizon of a black hole. In fact, the event horizon can be mathematically defined as the point at which the Misner Sharp mass function becomes infinite. This means that the Misner Sharp mass can be used to determine the size and location of the event horizon.

5. Can the Misner Sharp mass be applied to all types of black holes?

Yes, the Misner Sharp mass can be applied to all types of black holes, including rotating black holes and charged black holes. It is a universal concept in black hole physics and is used to describe the mass of any type of black hole, regardless of its specific properties.