Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Black Holes Relation To Time

1. Sep 29, 2009 #1
    Black Holes Relation To "Time"

Hello All,

Thanks for fielding my first question here. It looks as though "Physics Forums" will be a tremendous resource for me.

This is not a homework question. Rather, I am working on a broadcast documentary.

Is the concept of "time" (in the Newtonian, Einstienian, or quantum sense) related to black holes in any way other the Time Dilation?

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2
    Re: Black Holes Relation To "Time"

Can anyone think of other elements of time which may be illustrated by a black hole?

4. Sep 30, 2009 #3

Hmm, other then gravitational time dilation... How would a black hole relate to time? I wonder...

5. Sep 30, 2009 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Hi sciroccokid,

I think that the main relationship to time is that the singularity is a spatial location that is in the future of all events in the event horizon. Basically spacetime is bent so far that the coordinate time axis becomes spacelike.

6. Sep 30, 2009 #5

Hmm, Interesting I had never thought of that.

7. Oct 1, 2009 #6

But if you are in a black hole, don't you watch everything outside accelerate towards the future? If this is the case, how can the inside of a black hole be in a future time?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook