How is time related to black holes besides time dilation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between black holes and time. The main point made is that the singularity of a black hole is a spatial location in the future of all events in the event horizon, due to the extreme bending of spacetime. This is related to the concept of time dilation. Other elements of time that may be illustrated by black holes are also briefly mentioned.
sciroccokid
Black Holes Relation To "Time"

Hello All,

Thanks for fielding my first question here. It looks as though "Physics Forums" will be a tremendous resource for me.

This is not a homework question. Rather, I am working on a broadcast documentary.

Is the concept of "time" (in the Newtonian, Einstienian, or quantum sense) related to black holes in any way other the Time Dilation?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org

Can anyone think of other elements of time which may be illustrated by a black hole?

Hmm, other then gravitational time dilation... How would a black hole relate to time? I wonder...

Hi sciroccokid,

I think that the main relationship to time is that the singularity is a spatial location that is in the future of all events in the event horizon. Basically spacetime is bent so far that the coordinate time axis becomes spacelike.

DaleSpam said:
Hi sciroccokid,

I think that the main relationship to time is that the singularity is a spatial location that is in the future of all events in the event horizon. Basically spacetime is bent so far that the coordinate time axis becomes spacelike.

Hmm, Interesting I had never thought of that.

DaleSpam said:
Hi sciroccokid,

But if you are in a black hole, don't you watch everything outside accelerate towards the future? If this is the case, how can the inside of a black hole be in a future time?

1. What is the relationship between black holes and time?

Black holes are massive objects with strong gravitational forces that distort space and time. The closer you get to a black hole, the slower time passes due to this distortion. This phenomenon is known as time dilation.

2. Can time travel occur near a black hole?

While time dilation near a black hole may make it seem like time travel is possible, it is not feasible. The intense gravitational pull of a black hole would tear apart any object attempting to enter or exit the black hole, making time travel impossible.

3. How does the size of a black hole affect time?

The size of a black hole does not directly affect time, but its mass does. The larger the mass of a black hole, the stronger its gravitational pull, and the slower time passes near it due to time dilation.

4. Can black holes change the flow of time outside of their immediate vicinity?

While black holes can greatly affect time near their event horizon, the area beyond that is relatively unaffected. However, black holes can influence the flow of time in a broader sense by affecting the surrounding space and objects.

5. How do black holes contribute to our understanding of the concept of time?

Black holes play a crucial role in our understanding of time in the context of general relativity. They provide evidence for the theory of relativity and help us understand the relationship between gravity and time. They also challenge our traditional understanding of time and its linearity.