Black holes solved by string theory?

In summary, Gavin is a physicist who previously worked on black holes in Matrix theory but took a break to pursue other interests. Now, he is trying to catch up on what he has missed and is specifically interested in the progress made on black holes in string theory. He came across an interview with Lenny Susskind, who claims that the black hole problem has been solved in string theory. Gavin is looking for review papers to catch up on this solution and asks for suggestions. He is also recommended to check out Lubos' paper on black hole quasinormal frequencies. After reading and discussing various materials, Gavin concludes that although some progress has been made, there is still no general calculation for the entropy of black holes in string theory.
Gavin
I was working on black holes in Matrix theory about five years ago, but stopped to pursue other interests. I'm getting back into physics now and I'm trying to find out what I've missed. First I'd like to find out what happened to my favorite topic, black holes in string theory.

To this end, I was reading a nice interview with Lenny Susskind at "Edge":

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/susskind03/susskind_index.html

In it, Lenny says that the black hole problem is solved. He is pretty emphatic about this:

"There was an eruption of papers—mine, Joe Polchinski's, Andy Strominger's, Cumrun Vafa's—that really nailed that problem down. And black holes have been solved. Black holes have been understood. To this day the only real physics problem that has been solved by string theory is the problem of black holes. It led to some extremely revolutionary and strange ideas."

I've worked with Lenny in the past and know that he should be taken very seriously, but not always literally. Are them some review papers I can read that will catch me up on this solution, or is this mostly the same ideas that were around five years ago. Then we had a pretty good idea about what was going on, but we couldn't calculate the entropy of any realistic, astrophysical back hole. We could only find the entropy in special casses or at strage limit in higer dimensions.

I'll continue to look on my own, but combing through five years of hep-th arxiv is a pretty big task. I'd love to get some reading suggestions.

Gavin

Physics news on Phys.org
Black Holes, Lubos style

:surprise:
Oops, forgot to recommend Lubos' paper:

Asymptotic black hole quasinormal frequencies
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0301173

He's on here to discuss questions, which is extremely convenient. :smile:

Thanks for the nice references. Hawking's talk has also helped me a lot -- not directly, but through the discussion it has generated.

Based on what I've been reading, it appears that the situation is not fundamentally different from five years ago, when people were coming to terms with the AdS/CFT correspondence. Some interesting stuff has been done, but there isn't any general calculation that gives the entropy yet.

Thanks,
Gavin

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny vibrating strings. These strings are believed to be the key to unifying the laws of quantum mechanics and general relativity.

2. How does string theory explain black holes?

String theory suggests that black holes are not singularities with infinite density, but rather they have a structure at the quantum level. This means that the event horizon of a black hole is made up of strings, and the properties of these strings can help us understand the behavior of black holes.

3. Can string theory solve the information paradox of black holes?

The information paradox of black holes is the problem of how information (such as the physical characteristics of matter) can be destroyed when it falls into a black hole, in violation of the laws of quantum mechanics. String theory proposes that information is preserved in the form of quantum states of the strings that make up the event horizon of a black hole, thus providing a potential solution to this paradox.

4. How does string theory account for the extreme gravitational pull of black holes?

The strings in string theory are not just one-dimensional objects, but they can also have higher dimensions. This allows for the strings to interact with each other in a way that can generate the immense gravitational pull of black holes.

5. Is there any evidence to support string theory's explanation of black holes?

While there is no direct evidence for string theory, it is currently one of the most promising theories for unifying the laws of physics. It has successfully predicted certain properties of black holes, such as their entropy, but further research and experiments are needed to fully test its validity.