Black Holes, Time Warps & "Interstellar": A Review

In summary, the conversation discusses the movie "Interstellar" and the book "Black Holes and Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy" written by Kip Thorne, who was also the scientific consultant and executive producer of the movie. The movie's depiction of wormholes and black holes inspired the individual to revisit the book, which they had started reading 10 years ago. They highly recommend both the movie and the book, and also mention a forum discussion about the movie and its scientific accuracy.
aabottom
I recently saw "Interstellar", a pretty good movie with well done depictions of worm holes and black holes. This inspired me to dig out my book on black holes (thinking it was written by John Wheeler). I've had the book for years and had read the first couple hundred pages about 10 years ago.

It turns out that it was written by Kip Thorne (Black Holes and Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy), the scientific consultant and an executive producer of the movie, "Interstellar". I wound up reading the whole book over again, finally finishing the whole book.

I highly recommend both the movie and the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
aabottom said:
I recently saw "Interstellar", a pretty good movie with well done depictions of worm holes and black holes. This inspired me to dig out my book on black holes (thinking it was written by John Wheeler). I've had the book for years and had read the first couple hundred pages about 10 years ago.

It turns out that it was written by Kip Thorne (Black Holes and Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy), the scientific consultant and an executive producer of the movie, "Interstellar". I wound up reading the whole book over again, finally finishing the whole book.

I highly recommend both the movie and the book.
There is a BIG thread on the movie already here on the forum, discussing both the movie and the science. When making posts such as this, it's a good idea to do a forum search first.

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses in on itself.

2. How do black holes affect time?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time and space are interconnected. In the strong gravitational pull of a black hole, time is distorted, and it slows down significantly. This phenomenon is known as time dilation.

3. Can anything escape from a black hole?

Once something crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it cannot escape. This includes light, which is why black holes appear completely dark. However, before crossing the event horizon, objects can still escape if they have enough energy.

4. What is a time warp?

A time warp is a theoretical concept that suggests that it is possible to travel through time by manipulating the space-time continuum. In the movie "Interstellar," the spacecraft uses a time warp to travel through a wormhole and reach a distant galaxy.

5. Is the science in "Interstellar" accurate?

While the movie takes some creative liberties, it is based on real scientific concepts and theories. The filmmakers consulted with renowned physicist Kip Thorne to ensure the accuracy of the science portrayed in the film. However, as with any science fiction movie, some elements are exaggerated for the sake of storytelling.