Can white holes really exist as the opposite of black holes?

In summary: So, according to this theory, the entropy of the black hole and the white hole would be the same. However, we know from general relativity that entropy always increases. This is because the more matter that is present in a system, the more disorder it will create.
Moloch11
Well, I'll start off by admitting to having no formal education in this field, though advanced concepts across all scientific disciplines are a hobby of mine.

I will also point out that others have observed that I have a knack for thinking outside of the box, especially when it comes to connecting seemingly unconnected events and ideas.

So, this is my question:

We have indirectly observed black holes, but failed to observe their counterpart, white holes.

Now, who's to say that we haven't? In my mind, one of two possibilities, neither of which I've seen discussed or advanced to date, is occurring.

One: White holes do occur, but outside of our spacetime. I recently read an article which purported that evidence has been found that suggests that our universe is actually growing inside of another, infinitely more vast, universe. We are, in fact, a quantum bubble. So, perhaps what we call white holes are actually the opposite end of a black hole in our universe. The other end of them would be white holes whose presence would be observed in another spacetime. This would actually help to preserve several of the physical laws of conservation; namely mass and energy. Since none of the mass or energy is actually destroyed, only moved, no laws are broken. This would also preserve a balance between the two spacetimes. This theory does operate on the assumption that all spacetimes are fundamentally linked and balanced, a macrocosmic representation of our microcosmic ecological systems on Earth. Which, if honestly considered, does make a lot of sense.

Two: Stars are, in fact, white holes. If this is true, then either the population of black holes is far greater than we suspect, or, they are the balance of the black holes from another spacetime.

We all know that stars are massive objects with incredible magnetic fields which intensify as density of mass increases. We also know that black holes are regions of spacetime that have been ripped apart and apparently separated from the universe as the density of the original object was increased beyond our comprehension. There are also emerging theories which postulate that gravity is a reaction to electromagnetic forces, and not a force of its own, and still other theories which postulate that electromagnetism, and not fusion, are the driving forces behind stellar energy. There is some considerable evidence for the latter idea, and if true, could give some credence to the ideas I've postulated just now; since I do not believe that gravity alone could produce such results, or even come close. Powerful electromagnetic fields though... those could definitely accomplish it.

So, thoughts, questions, emotionally driven knee-jerk reactions?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
White holes are highly theoretical, so I would keep an extremely high skepticism over it. However a lot of the stuff you write is correct, as far as I know. I am not an expert in this field either, but I have done extensive reading into it =P

I was just reading a short article on white holes and wormholes (http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/schww.html) and it says in that article that white holes would violate the second law of thermodynamics. How is that true? If a white hole really was on the other side of a black hole into another universe, wouldn't the entropy = 0? The positive entropy from the black hole and the negative entropy from the white hole would cancel to 0, correct?

I'm not sure about some of the more cutting edge stuff, (particularly regarding cosmology), but I would say that if the idea that stars are white holes was true it would produce some anomalies in the observations we have of stars forming from interstellar gas clouds. The theory that when the a certain mass and density is reached stars begin to shine due to fusion already makes sense on the atomic/chemical level.

White holes would violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics in a self contained universe. We do not observe anything resembling a white hole in our universe. This at least infers we reside in a self contained universe, imo.

mg0stisha said:
I was just reading a short article on white holes and wormholes (http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/schww.html) and it says in that article that white holes would violate the second law of thermodynamics. How is that true? If a white hole really was on the other side of a black hole into another universe, wouldn't the entropy = 0? The positive entropy from the black hole and the negative entropy from the white hole would cancel to 0, correct?
You are right it would violate the second law of thermodynamics, in fact it violates a lot of physics laws. In my opinion, white holes are noexistent. Here is why: the white hole theory states that white holes are just the opposite of black holes. They connect to black holes via a wormhole and transport matter that enters the black hole to the white hole where it is then ejected out of the white hole.
Here is why this cannot happen: black holes are highly unstable. They almost always vary in their output of gravitational energy. So how can an unstable source of gravity create a connecting structure? It cant. (Note: a wormhole must have a very stable source of gravity in order to be stable and sucsessfully transport matter.) That is just one of many resons why white holes cannot exist. For more information, go to my thread: why white holes cannot exist, in the astrophysics section.

What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region of space with a gravitational pull so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This occurs when a massive star dies and collapses under its own gravity.

How do black holes form?

Black holes form when a massive star runs out of nuclear fuel and can no longer produce enough energy to counteract its own gravity. The star's core collapses, causing a supernova explosion, and the remaining mass collapses into a singularity, creating a black hole.

What is the event horizon of a black hole?

The event horizon is the point of no return for objects approaching a black hole. Once an object crosses the event horizon, it is impossible for it to escape the gravitational pull of the black hole.

Can anything escape from a black hole?

No, nothing can escape from a black hole once it crosses the event horizon. However, some particles can escape through Hawking radiation, a phenomenon predicted by physicist Stephen Hawking.

What is a white hole?

A white hole is a hypothetical object that is the reverse of a black hole. While a black hole's gravity pulls everything in, a white hole's gravity repels everything. However, there is no evidence for the existence of white holes in the universe.