Solving the Radius of a Collapsing Star in Schwarzschild Geometry

In summary, the equation (1 - \epsilon)^2 ( \frac{R_{\text{max}}}{R}-1) describes the collapsing of a star in Schwarzschild geometry, with a time limit of \tau = \frac{\pi M}{(1-\epsilon)^{3/2}}. To solve for the R integral, a trig substitution R=R_{max} \sin^2{\theta} is used, resulting in an extra minus sign in the final equation. The limits of the integral are sound, but the sign must be chosen to agree with dR/d\tau<0.
latentcorpse
I have that [itex] \left( \frac{dR}{d \tau} \right)^2 = ( 1 - \epsilon)^2 ( \frac{R_{\text{max}}}{R}-1)[/itex] describes the radius of the surface of a collapsing star in Schwarzschild geometry. I need to show it falls to R=0 in time [itex]\tau = \frac{\pi M}{(1-\epsilon)^{3/2}}[/itex]

So far I have rearranged to get
[itex]\int_{R_{\text{max}}}^0 \sqrt{\frac{R}{R_{\text{max}}-R}} dR = \int_0^\tau (1-\epsilon^2)^{1/2} = (1-\epsilon^2)^{1/2} \tau[/itex]

How do I do that R integral though?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi latentcorpse! :smile:

that π in the answer suggests you should go for a trig substitution :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi latentcorpse! :smile:

that π in the answer suggests you should go for a trig substitution :wink:

I forgot to mention that [itex]R_{\text{max}}=\frac{2M}{1-\epsilon^2}[/itex]

Making the substitution [itex]R=R_{max} \sin^2{\theta}[/itex]

I get [itex]\int_{\pi/2}^0 2 R_{max} \sin^2{\theta} d \theta = - R_{max} \frac{\pi}{2} = - \frac{M \pi}{(1-\epsilon^2)}[/itex]

equating to [itex](1-\epsilon^2)^{1/2}\tau[/itex]

we get [itex]\tau=-\frac{\pi M}{(1-\epsilon)^{3/2}}[/itex]

i.e. an extra minus sign. and it can't take a negative amount of time for a star surface to collapse to r=0, i have messed up a sign. i think the limits on my integrals are sound but could you check please?

thanks.

You have to choose the sign when taking the square root to agree with [tex]dR/d\tau<0[/tex].

Based on the information provided, it seems like you are on the right track in solving for the time at which the collapsing star reaches a radius of 0. To solve the integral for R, you can use the substitution u = R/Rmax - 1, which will then turn the integral into:

\int_{-1}^1 \sqrt{\frac{u+1}{u}} du

This integral can then be solved using a trigonometric substitution or by using a table of integrals. Once you have solved for the integral, you can plug in the limits of integration and solve for the time \tau.

However, it is important to note that this calculation assumes a simplified model of a collapsing star in Schwarzschild geometry and may not accurately represent the dynamics of a real collapsing star. It is always important to consider the assumptions and limitations of any mathematical model in scientific research.

1. What is the Schwarzschild geometry?

The Schwarzschild geometry is a mathematical model used to describe the curvature of space-time around a non-rotating and uncharged massive object, such as a star or a black hole. It is named after the German physicist Karl Schwarzschild, who first derived the solution to Einstein's field equations that describe this geometry.

2. Why is it important to solve for the radius of a collapsing star in Schwarzschild geometry?

Solving for the radius of a collapsing star in Schwarzschild geometry is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of massive objects, such as stars, under extreme conditions of gravity. This is crucial for studying the life cycle of stars and predicting their eventual fate.

3. How is the radius of a collapsing star in Schwarzschild geometry calculated?

The radius of a collapsing star in Schwarzschild geometry is calculated using the Schwarzschild radius formula, which is given by Rs = 2GM/c2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the star, and c is the speed of light. This formula takes into account the effects of gravity on the curvature of space-time around the star.

4. Can the radius of a collapsing star in Schwarzschild geometry change?

Yes, the radius of a collapsing star in Schwarzschild geometry can change. As the star continues to collapse, its mass and gravity increase, causing the Schwarzschild radius to decrease. This process can continue until the star reaches a critical point known as the event horizon, beyond which no light can escape, and the star becomes a black hole.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solving for the radius of a collapsing star in Schwarzschild geometry?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of solving for the radius of a collapsing star in Schwarzschild geometry. For example, this calculation is important in astrophysics for understanding the structure and behavior of stars, as well as in the study of black holes. It also has applications in general relativity and cosmology, helping us understand the fundamental laws of the universe.