Are Black Holes Hot? A Deeper Look

In summary, black holes are not hot due to their massive gravity, but outside of the event horizon, an accretion disc may form and generate heat as matter is pulled into the black hole. However, beyond the event horizon, traditional concepts like heat do not apply due to the gravitational singularity. More research and understanding is needed on the topic.
Cbray
I was wondering if black holes are insanely hot, my guess is they are because so much matter has been crushed together causing friction and energy.
Is this right? Thanks.

PS: if it's something a 14 year old wouldn't understand, please give me a url link to wikipedia where I can study it, thanks, bye!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
they r not hot bcs they have huge gravitation and they can also change the hit to the mass energy

Cbray said:
I was wondering if black holes are insanely hot, my guess is they are because so much matter has been crushed together causing friction and energy.
Is this right? Thanks.

This happens to material the approaches the event horizon of a black hole.

So no one actually knows what happens to the matter once it goes inside the black hole?

I don't know but I'm just giving my amateurish thought on the subject.

I don't think there is an answer to your question because, as you suspect, we don't know.

If heat is movement of molecules, I don't see how they could move at all in a black hole if they were so tightly held together by gravity. Could that mean that black holes are precisely 0K ? I don't know...and not sure if anyone does.

Beyond the event horizon all bets are off for determining what is really going on. Contemporary understanding is that beyond an event horizon is a gravitational singularity, this is a point of infinite density. Notions like heat don't really apply.

Outside the black hole an accretion disc can form, this is a spinning disk of matter that is spiralling into the black hole. All that matter smashing together is likely to cause a lot of heat.

What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This is due to the immense density and mass of the object, which causes a strong curvature in space-time.

How are black holes formed?

Black holes are formed when a massive star dies and collapses under its own gravity. As the star runs out of fuel, it can no longer produce enough energy to counteract the force of gravity, causing it to collapse in on itself and form a black hole.

Are black holes hot?

Yes, black holes have a high temperature due to the intense gravitational forces acting upon them. As matter is pulled into a black hole, it is accelerated to high velocities, causing it to heat up and emit radiation.

Can anything escape from a black hole?

Once something passes the event horizon (the point of no return) of a black hole, it cannot escape. This includes light, which is why black holes appear black. However, some particles are able to escape through a process called Hawking radiation.

Do all black holes have the same temperature?

No, the temperature of a black hole depends on its mass. Smaller black holes have a higher temperature, while larger black holes have a lower temperature. This is due to the amount of energy and matter that is being pulled into the black hole.