Exploring the Mysteries of Black Holes

In summary, the radiation escaping from a black hole should be traveling faster than the speed of light, but this is incompatible with einsteins theory of relativity because he says that nothing can exceed the limit of the speed of light. The uncertainty principle may be able to make this possible.
lostinaworld
Hi, I'm at high school at the moment and i have gotten really interested in black holes and the way they work as i have been reading books from Stephen Hawking.

So we know that black holes absorb matter and photons by the pull of gravity. And we also know that it emmits radiation. But because photons can't escape the pull and radiation can, does that mean the radiation should be traveling faster than the speed of light? It says that for something to escape a black hole it should be traveling faster than the speed of light. However this is incompatible with einsteins theory of relativity because he says that nothing can exceed the limit of the speed of light. Could the uncertainty principle make this possible?

Space news on Phys.org
lostinaworld said:
Hi, I'm at high school at the moment and i have gotten really interested in black holes and the way they work as i have been reading books from Stephen Hawking.

So we know that black holes absorb matter and photons by the pull of gravity. And we also know that it emmits radiation. But because photons can't escape the pull and radiation can, does that mean the radiation should be traveling faster than the speed of light? It says that for something to escape a black hole it should be traveling faster than the speed of light. However this is incompatible with einsteins theory of relativity because he says that nothing can exceed the limit of the speed of light. Could the uncertainty principle make this possible?

Photons are radiation. The radiation that "escapes" a black hole is a special kind called Hawking radiation. He says that it is hard to explain. So I don't even try to understand it.

This doesn't really answer my question though because your telling me about this special hawking radiation (i know the name anyway) i asked if the radiation escaping could be faster than the speed of light.

Hawking radiation does not enter the event horizon but is created at it. It doesn't travel faster than the speed of light. It's creation is something to do with virtual particles becoming real I think but this is outside my field. Hopefully someone more informed can help you with a more thorough answer.

Light = electromanetic radiation = photons. They're the same thing.
You're asking if light can travel faster than light.

Hawking radiation(so, photons) is emitted from above the event horizon, so it does not violate the speed limit.

Thankyou

Ryan_m_b said:
Hawking radiation does not enter the event horizon but is created at it. It doesn't travel faster than the speed of light. It's creation is something to do with virtual particles becoming real I think but this is outside my field. Hopefully someone more informed can help you with a more thorough answer.

By virtual particles, do you mean particle pairs that annihilate each other?

yes Hawking radiation is a form of virtual particle pair production that occurs outside the EH. One of the pairs falls into the EH, the other acts as a blackbody temperature.

this thread contains some information on Hawking radiation including when Hawking radiation takes effect as it only occurs during specific conditions discussed in this thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=683377

this site contains some info on Hawking radiation

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/BlackHoles/hawking.html

here is a pdf copy of Hawking paper

http://www.itp.uni-hannover.de/~giulini/papers/BlackHoleSeminar/Hawking_CMP_1975.pdf

another interesting aticle is this one
http://arxiv.org/abs/1009.0633

edit I should be more precise here Blackhole evaperation only occurs under certain conditions.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is relevant to this topic yet,
I have not read it but i plan on it later today but,
in sky and telescope there's an article,

sky and telescope magazine
june 2013
" when black holes eat stars "
pg.16

I have a direct link to the digital magazine article if wanted.
just let me know.

Yes please :)

lostinaworld said:
Yes please :)

I'm a subscriber to the magazine,so let me know if you can not access this, i tested it, it works, but I'm not sure if it is because I'm a subscriber, so let me know if it does or doesn't work.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newtrack/st_201306/#/18

It doesn't work but thanks anyway :)

lostinaworld said:
It doesn't work but thanks anyway :)

hmm.. i'll try to find another posting about it..
the only other thing i can suggest is, maybe go to the grocery store and find the magazine on the self and read it from there..
but I'm not sure if it is out on stands yet...

sorry.

Im a subscriber to all about space magazine. Thats how i came about black holes and other stuff

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses.

2. How do black holes form?

Black holes are formed when a massive star runs out of nuclear fuel and collapses under its own gravity. This collapse causes the star's core to become extremely dense and compact, creating a black hole.

3. Can we see black holes?

No, we cannot see black holes directly because they do not emit or reflect any light. However, we can observe the effects of black holes on their surroundings, such as the distortion of light and the movement of nearby objects.

4. What happens if you fall into a black hole?

If an object, including a person, were to fall into a black hole, it would be stretched and torn apart by the strong gravitational forces. This process is known as "spaghettification".

5. Are there different types of black holes?

Yes, there are three main types of black holes: stellar, intermediate, and supermassive. Stellar black holes are about 10-24 times the mass of the sun, intermediate black holes are 100-1000 times the mass of the sun, and supermassive black holes are millions or even billions of times the mass of the sun.