Exploring the Mysteries of Black Hole Singularities

In summary: No one can answer that for sure; that's one of the defining characteristics of a black hole. All information is destroyed after entering one, so there is no way to interogate a hole to find out what's going on inside. The matter itself is destroyed on the way in; what becomes of the resultant energy is speculative.In summary, according to the authors, the information entropy inside a black hole is still under debate, and there is no consensus on how it is avoided. It is troubling because it violates some highly cherished principles of thermodynamics.
aricho
If black holes suck all matter into a singularity, where does it go and what does it do from there?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
aricho said:
If black holes suck all matter into a singularity, where does it go and what does it do from there?
No one can answer that for sure; that's one of the defining characteristics of a black hole. All information is destroyed after entering one, so there is no way to interogate a hole to find out what's going on inside. The matter itself is destroyed on the way in; what becomes of the resultant energy is speculative.

Danger said:
No one can answer that for sure; that's one of the defining characteristics of a black hole. All information is destroyed after entering one, so there is no way to interogate a hole to find out what's going on inside. The matter itself is destroyed on the way in; what becomes of the resultant energy is speculative.
Is that the latest view? I read something in Scientific American (I think it was) a loooong time back about the possibility of information being conserved holographically in a black hole (I know nothing about holography), and also that it may be retrieved (albeit randomly) in the form of Hawking radiation. Do either of those points make any sense, or is it another case of facts being lost in translation to layman's language?

First of all , singularity inside black holes has not been confirmed, but even if it existed,after hitting singularity, the particle becomes a part of the huge dense mass of the black hole and further strengthens it.

BJ

our universe?

could our universe be in a black hole?

Could the "Big Bang" have occurred from the possible "singularity" inside a black hole.

Also, i know that light can't get out, but can light get in?

aricho said:
could our universe be in a black hole? Could the "Big Bang" have occurred from the possible "singularity" inside a black hole.
Well, no-one knows the laws of physics in a black hole, so no-one can answer that. There are theories (cosmological Darwinism and black-hole bouncing) that suggest a universe may be created by a black hole, but I don't know if anyone gives these theories much time. When it comes to 'in' a black hole, I guess you can ask any question you like but no-one knows the answers.

aricho said:
Sure.

aricho said:
could our universe be in a black hole?

By definition, a black hole is an object within the universe. But as noted, there are speculations about the possibility of black hole singularities creating universes.

Light falls into, and gets trapped, in a black hole just like matter does.

The implied information loss in a black hole is still actively debated in theoretical circles. It is troubling because it appears to violate some highly cherished principles of thermodynamics. The consensus appears to be there is no actual information loss. There is not, however, a consensus on how this is avoided. For an entertaining [and not mind-numbing] discussion on how different theoretical camps have approached this issue, see:

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0501103
Black hole entropy: inside or out?
Authors: Ted Jacobson, Donald Marolf, Carlo Rovelli

El Hombre Invisible said:
Is that the latest view? I read something in Scientific American (I think it was) a loooong time back about the possibility of information being conserved holographically in a black hole (I know nothing about holography), and also that it may be retrieved (albeit randomly) in the form of Hawking radiation. Do either of those points make any sense, or is it another case of facts being lost in translation to layman's language?

There is only one problem,there is no hologram without photons.

I remember having read that article in SciAm, but not the details. I believe that the general context was in using a black hole as a computer. Given the state of my home, it'll take me a week to find that particular issue. The thing that weirds me out about that is that it might infer a continuation of our universe in the next Big Bang if ours ends up collapsing into a Big Crunch. The though of me being duplicated to wreak havoc upon yet another civilization is truly frightening. :eek:

Hmm that provokes an interresting thought; say the big crunch occurs, and then it expands again as the big bang. Wouldn't it turn out to be the EXACT SAME universe as it is now? What would prompt it to be different? I mean there arent really any variables when everything is condensed into one point, are there? Would the second, or third or third trillionth big bang be any different? I don't know ,but I just thought of that idea, and maybe it's already been stated or something... Kind of spooky that I've already typed this... an infinite number of times, maybe. :uhh: :uhh:

cDimino said:
Hmm that provokes an interresting thought; say the big crunch occurs, and then it expands again as the big bang. Wouldn't it turn out to be the EXACT SAME universe as it is now?
I was kinda kidding about that part of it. The uncertainty principle and chaos theory would rule out an exact duplication even if the resultant new universe began exactly the same as this one. Think of how different just our own little planet would be if, for instance, Napoleon had died in childhood. Extrapolate things like that to an entire universe, and you just couldn't end up the same way twice.

Yes, Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principal would do it. I'm sorry for thinking aloud :-(

Danger said:
... All information is destroyed after entering one, so there is no way to interogate a hole to find out what's going on inside. ...
Didn't Stephen Hawking recently admit he lost a bet against two other physicists (cosmologists?) on whether information can escape from a black hole? (Hawking had bet on "no information escape.")

Last edited:

1. What is a black hole singularity?

A black hole singularity is a point of infinite density and zero volume at the center of a black hole. It is where the laws of physics as we know them break down, and our current understanding of the universe cannot explain what happens inside this point.

2. How do black hole singularities form?

Black hole singularities are formed when a massive star collapses under its own gravity at the end of its life. As the star's core collapses, it reaches a point where the gravitational pull becomes so strong that it overcomes all other forces, causing the singularity to form.

3. Can anything escape from a black hole singularity?

According to our current understanding of physics, nothing can escape from a black hole singularity. The gravity at the singularity is so strong that even light cannot escape, which is why black holes are known as "black".

4. What happens if you enter a black hole singularity?

Entering a black hole singularity is not possible according to our current understanding of physics. As an object gets closer to the singularity, it will experience extreme tidal forces that will stretch and tear it apart. At the singularity itself, the object will be crushed into infinite density.

5. How do scientists study black hole singularities?

Since we cannot directly observe black hole singularities, scientists study them through indirect means such as observing the effects of their gravity on surrounding matter and using computer simulations. However, there is still much that is unknown about these mysterious objects and more research is needed to fully understand them.