What Does Black Light Do to a Blackbody?

In summary: the existence of black light is due to the fact that waves of different frequencies (colors) interfere with each other.
philrainey
if a wave of light intermingles with another the same but of opposite phrase I believe you get what is called black light. If the black light hits a blackbody what happens? does any radiation energy heat up the black body?

Physics news on Phys.org
philrainey said:
if a wave of light intermingles with another the same but of opposite phrase I believe you get what is called black light.

No. Black light is merely a common name for ultraviolet light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_light

Ultraviolet light is simply shorter wavelength than violet light. Humans can't see it, though some other creatures (such as bees) can.

Oh I had this hairy fairy idea (thinking of light as waves) That two waves of opposite phrase traveling in the same vector kind of canceled each other out. Maybe like add to zero. I thought as the universe is suppose to add to zero if the opposite of something is added to something then that something would return to zero. Then I went on with my notion and thought maybe that could be reversiable and one could in theory create light energy from nothing. Never mind.

philrainey wrote in:
#1:
if a wave of light intermingles with another the same but of opposite phrase I believe you get what is called black light. If the black light hits a blackbody what happens? does any radiation energy heat up the black body?
#3:
Oh I had this hairy fairy idea (thinking of light as waves) That two waves of opposite phrase traveling in the same vector kind of canceled each other out. Maybe like add to zero. I thought as the universe is suppose to add to zero if the opposite of something is added to something then that something would return to zero. Then I went on with my notion and thought maybe that could be reversiable and one could in theory create light energy from nothing. Never mind.
philrainey - please carefully consider which sectioin in PF your queries truly belong. Both this one and previous one 'Bending radiation' are not really QM but more of a classical/general physics nature.

Wave interference is real enough but is believed to always obey total conservation of energy. Some examples are the light and dark interference fringes seen in double-slit experiments (classical optics or QM), or scattering of waves at waveguide junctions and obstacles, see e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference_(wave_propagation). The basic idea is such scattering/interference is 'unitary' - net input = net output. Which means cancellation in some regions is accompanied by reinforcement elsewhere and/or at other times ('beat' phenomena). One doesn't think of wave interference in terms of individual field quanta (photons) cancelling each other, but is really a collective phenomenon that emerges from the summed behaviour of many individual quanta.

Last edited:
for years I thought black light was light waves that canceled each other out, I really got it wrong. I think somebody at college told me that and I have believed it ever since. Well we have sorted that false notion out.

1. What is a blackbody?

A blackbody is an idealized object that absorbs all radiation that falls on it and emits thermal radiation at a temperature determined by its surroundings. In simpler terms, it is an object that reflects no visible light and appears completely black.

2. What is black light?

Black light, also known as ultraviolet (UV) light, is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is not visible to the human eye. It has a shorter wavelength than visible light, which gives it a characteristic violet or blue color when viewed with specialized equipment.

3. How does black light affect a blackbody?

When black light is shone on a blackbody, the object will absorb the radiation and begin to emit thermal radiation at a higher intensity. This is because the energy from the UV light is absorbed and converted into heat, causing the blackbody to emit more thermal radiation.

4. Why does a blackbody appear to glow under black light?

As mentioned before, black light causes a blackbody to emit more thermal radiation due to the absorption of UV energy. This increase in thermal radiation can make the blackbody appear to glow, as the radiation is now in the visible light spectrum.

5. Can black light be used to study blackbodies?

Yes, black light is commonly used in scientific experiments to study blackbodies. By measuring the intensity and wavelength of the thermal radiation emitted by a blackbody under black light, scientists can gather valuable information about the object's properties, such as its temperature and emissivity.