Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blackboard at home?

1. Apr 22, 2005 #1
    I was watching this new show called numb3rs. The main character is a mathematican and has a some blackboards he is using. [​IMG] I couldn't stop wonder if someone in real life is standing like this and write on blackboards outside school, just for themself.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Heh, in one episode he had blackboards on every wall AND on the ceiling. :rolleyes:

4. Apr 22, 2005 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

i have some whiteboards I work on at home. I also like to work long problems on artist sketch pads because they are large and unlined.

5. Apr 22, 2005 #4

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Whiteboards are nice, the volatile solvents in the pens always stimulate good thought processes :wink: .

I do have chalk boards at home one, in my son's room for him to be creative with and another in the kitchen for the ever-evolving grocery list.

6. Apr 22, 2005 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They cost alot of $$$, so be preprared to pay up.

Or you can settle for something less, like a homemade blackboard.

Note: I have my own big whiteboard... so yes people in real life do this.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  7. Apr 22, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have a whiteboard at home plus, last week when I was working through thoughts for a manuscript I'm working on, I was also spreading out to a few windows and the bathroom mirror. Yeah, what a geek, I know, but I think better while standing than sitting, so it works for me.

8. Apr 22, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I have a small white board i wanted to use for working out stuff but it was pretty much nearly handheld so it was too small. Some problems are very long and involved so blackboards would be nice :)

9. Apr 22, 2005 #8
    There isn't some color one can paint on a wall to get a nice blackboard.

10. Apr 22, 2005 #9
    The color isn't the problem. How would you make it hold chalk?

11. Apr 22, 2005 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You can buy special paint that creates a chalkboard surface.

12. Apr 22, 2005 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I find that what works best are 8.5 X 11" used printer sheets, napkins, little notepads, piles of Mead Composition notebooks, yellow pads (legal and standard), manilla folders, envelopes, and the backs of receipts, and stored as a homogenous and isotropic distribution all around my office. :cry:

For me the trick is to have a really big table .

13. Apr 22, 2005 #12
    Oooh neat. Didn't know that. In that case I would pick black or dark brown.

14. Apr 23, 2005 #13

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mmm blackboard paint.

My little sister always used to ruin her blackboard by painting it with nail varnish and other assorted nasties. The number of times we had to repaint it....

Blackboard Paint

15. Apr 23, 2005 #14

Danger

Gold Member

I can't help thinking that Moonbear's probably the only woman in the world to have a blackboard over her bed instead of a mirror... :tongue:

16. Apr 23, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:tongue: No, no blackboards on the ceiling in my house. I'm short, remember? I could never reach it to make any use of it.

It's really nice to have a blackboard or whiteboard though. When I stop working on something at night, it's right there in big letters for me to review in the morning to remember where I left off. I like to diagram and outline ideas on it. And I get to do it in multiple colors. I got a pack of dry erase markers with 8 different colors. :biggrin: When I used to do this with pen and paper, I used to work with lots of colored pens too, but some of those colored pens just don't show up well on paper. But I'm weird about a lot of things. If I need to start writing and am suffering a bit of writer's block, I'll buy a new pen, or pick up a calligraphy pen I have with a pretty glass handle. Then it's just fun to write with a pretty pen, and when I focus on making pretty letters, it gets me inspired to put lots of words on that paper, which is all I need to get started.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?