Find a Blackboard for Physics PhD Student

• Thread starter brydustin
  • Start date
In summary: The paint always sticks to her fur. Thanks for the information!In summary, a blackboard can be found at a hardware store or online, but be prepared for the cost. The paint won't adhere to the surface, so it's necessary to use something other than paintball to write on the board.
brydustin
Hi, I'm a new physics phd student, and I would like to have a black board in my flat, but I can't find any suitable on amazon and I've looked all over the internet. Most of the boards are small for children or just designed to leave short messages on (like at bars, etc.). If anyone knows where I can purchase a blackboard that would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, unfortunately my landlord doesn't allow me to paint anything on the walls, but no restrictions on hanging blackboards, posters, etc... I've spotted the paint a while ago, thought about it, but realized that I could loose my deposit ($$$)... so yeah, a traditional boarded (non-paint) blackboard is what I need

Chi Meson said:
You can get green or black chalkboard paint from a hardware store or online
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006BAEMM/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you have a really smooth wood surface, or a proper size piece of sheet metal, you can make you own custom chalkboard.

Last year i was also searching for a board to write on. I bought a whiteboard 2m x 1.20m.

I was planning on buying a blackboard (let's be honest, writing with chalk looks so much better), but I've read they get malformed after a while. (Not to mention I'm alergic to lots of stuff, and chalk probably is part of the list)

Anyhow, I'm extremelly happy with my Whiteboard. It is one of the best things I've spent money in, ever.EDIT: Not sure if it's a problem to you or not, but whiteboard markers are more expensive than chalks

brydustin said:
Thanks, unfortunately my landlord doesn't allow me to paint anything on the walls, but no restrictions on hanging blackboards, posters, etc... I've spotted the paint a while ago, thought about it, but realized that I could loose my deposit ($$$)... so yeah, a traditional boarded (non-paint) blackboard is what I need
Paint works on things other than walls, you know. :tongue2: :biggrin:

I think what he meant is you can find yourself an appropriate rectangular piece of material, paint it, and end up with a cheap DIY blackboard.

Grep said:
Paint works on things other than walls, you know. :tongue2: :biggrin:

A common misconception. Have you ever read the breakdown on why it costs 20 million dollars to build a mile of road? It would only cost about 1500 bucks, except that it costs 20 million dollars for the white and yellow asphalt

This is also why paintball is so widely played: the paint can't adhere to your clothing, making discoloration impossible

Office_Shredder said:
A common misconception. Have you ever read the breakdown on why it costs 20 million dollars to build a mile of road? It would only cost about 1500 bucks, except that it costs 20 million dollars for the white and yellow asphalt

This is also why paintball is so widely played: the paint can't adhere to your clothing, making discoloration impossible
Wow, live and learn, huh? o:)

Office_Shredder said:

I did not know that. That explains the problem with my dog.

1. Where can I find a blackboard for my physics research?

There are a few places you can look for a blackboard as a physics PhD student. Your university may have designated areas or rooms with blackboards specifically for research purposes. You can also check with your department or lab to see if they have any available. Additionally, many office supply stores or online retailers sell portable blackboards that you can use in your own workspace.

2. How big should the blackboard be for a physics PhD student?

The size of the blackboard you need will depend on your personal preference and the type of research you are conducting. Some students prefer a larger blackboard to have plenty of space for equations and diagrams, while others may find a smaller one more manageable. As a general guideline, a blackboard that is at least 4 feet wide and 3 feet tall should provide enough space for most physics research.

3. What material should the blackboard be made of?

The most common material for blackboards is slate, which provides a smooth surface for writing and erasing. However, some students may prefer a whiteboard or a chalkboard. Whiteboards are easier to clean and maintain, while chalkboards may be more cost-effective. Ultimately, the choice of material will depend on your personal preference and budget.

4. Can I use a digital blackboard for my physics research?

Yes, there are digital blackboards available that can be used for physics research. These electronic devices allow you to write and save equations and diagrams, making it easier to organize and share your research. However, some students may prefer the traditional feel of a physical blackboard, so it ultimately comes down to personal preference.

5. How often should I clean my blackboard?

It is a good idea to clean your blackboard after every use to maintain a clear and legible surface. Use a damp cloth or sponge to wipe away any markings, and make sure to dry the surface thoroughly to prevent any water damage. Additionally, it is recommended to deep clean your blackboard at least once a month to remove any buildup of chalk or markers.