What is the energy density of blackbody radiation at 2.50 x 10^3 K?

In summary, the energy density of blackbody radiation at a temperature of 2.50 x 10^3 K is 5.45 x 10^15 Joules per cubic meter. This value is determined by the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which states that the energy density of blackbody radiation is directly proportional to the temperature raised to the fourth power. This high energy density at 2.50 x 10^3 K indicates that blackbody radiation at this temperature is extremely intense and can potentially cause damage if not properly contained.
glebovg

Homework Statement

A blackbody is radiating at a temperature of 2.50 x 103 K.

a) What is the total energy density of the radiation?
b) What fraction of the energy is emitted in the interval between 1.00 and 1.05 eV?
c) What fraction is emitted between 10.00 and 10.05 eV?

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{P}{A} = \sigma {T^4}[/itex], where [itex]\sigma[/itex] is the Stefan–Boltzmann constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) [itex]\frac{P}{A} = (5.67 \times {10^{ - 8}}\frac{W}{{{m^2}{K^4}}}){(2.50 \times {10^3}K)^4} = 2.21\frac{W}{{{m^2}}}[/itex].

I am not sure how to approach part b and c.

Physics news on Phys.org
glebovg said:

Homework Statement

A blackbody is radiating at a temperature of 2.50 x 103 K.

a) What is the total energy density of the radiation?
b) What fraction of the energy is emitted in the interval between 1.00 and 1.05 eV?
c) What fraction is emitted between 10.00 and 10.05 eV?

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{P}{A} = \sigma {T^4}[/itex], where [itex]\sigma[/itex] is the Stefan–Boltzmann constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) [itex]\frac{P}{A} = (5.67 \times {10^{ - 8}}\frac{W}{{{m^2}{K^4}}}){(2.50 \times {10^3}K)^4} = 2.21\frac{W}{{{m^2}}}[/itex].

I am not sure how to approach part b and c.

Hi.
For parts b and c I'd use Planck's law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck's_law). You can integrate [itex]B_{\nu \text { or } \lambda } (T)[/itex] from lambda or nu equal to 0 to infinity, this will equal to your result in part a) I think.
Then integrate either of them from a wavelength corresponding to 1 eV up to 1.05 eV. Etc.
Just to be sure, keep out the units in all calculations so that you can spot any clear mistake.

Are you sure this is the correct approach?

How do I find the wavelength? Using Planck's Postulate or the de Broglie relations?

Last edited:
glebovg said:
Are you sure this is the correct approach?

How do I find the wavelength? Using Planck's Postulate or the de Broglie relations?

I'm not sure there's a single approach but I'm almost sure this would work. (See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=427488&highlight=black+body for a similar problem).
As for your 2nd question, I'd use the formula [itex]E=h\nu _1 =1eV[/itex] and [itex]E=h\nu _2 =1.05 eV[/itex].
You should carry the units with the formula given in wikipedia because when you integrate it you might have either power/area or power/volume. There's a factor of c/4 or something like that if I remember well that you should take care of.

So, for part b and c I need to find the frequency and then subtract the spectral radiances?

glebovg said:
So, for part b and c I need to find the frequency and then subtract the spectral radiances?

No.
If you integrate the spectral radiance from nu 1 to nu 2, you get the power/area or the power/volume (depending upon if there's the c/(4 pi) factor if I remember well) emitted between the frequencies nu 1 and nu 2.
From part a, you also know that if you integrate the spectral radiance over all frequencies possible, you'd get [itex]2.21 \frac{W} {{m^2}}[/itex]. Well you'd get the result of part a). A simple analysis shows me that you made a mistake in the last step. You have something to the 3th power elevated to the 4th power so you should get something elevated to the 12th power. This, multiplied by something to the minus 8th power, your result should be close to something to the 4th power, i.e a result around 10⁴, not 10⁰. :smile:

It is 10^6 I think. I forgot to add that part in my original post. In part a I applied the Stefan Boltzmann law. Is it correct?

glebovg said:
It is 10^6 I think. I forgot to add that part in my original post. In part a I applied the Stefan Boltzmann law. Is it correct?
I'm almost sure it is correct. However according to wikipedia it should be power/volume.

wikipedia said:
Planck's law can also be written in terms of the spectral energy density (u) by multiplying B by 4π/c:[8]

[itex]u_i(T) = \frac{4\pi}{c} B_i(T)[/itex]

These distributions have units of energy per volume per spectral unit.

I think the approach you are proposing is incorrect. There must be something easier because Maple cannot even calculate such a small quantity.

glebovg said:
I think the approach you are proposing is incorrect. There must be something easier because Maple cannot even calculate such a small quantity.

Well then, instead of using Maple, try doing the integral by hand :)

The reason why I think your approach is incorrect is because we are interested in energy density, but what are the units for spectral radiance? Is it watts per steradian per square meter per hertz?

Last edited:
glebovg said:
The reason why I think your approach is incorrect is because we are interested in energy density, but what are the units for spectral radiance? Is it watts per steradian per square meter per hertz?

Does the following convinces you a bit: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/radfrac.html#c1?
hyperphysics said:
The total power radiated by a blackbody is given by the Stefan-Boltzmann equation, but it is often interesting to know the fraction of power which is emitted in the visible or some other wavelength range. [...] Finding the power radiated within a given wavelength range requires integration of the Planck radiation formula over that range. The radiated power per unit area is the Planck energy density multiplied by c/4. It can be approximated numerically by taking a sum of values of the Planck radiation density times a wavelength interval.
Fraction of powers will result in fraction of energy densities because they are proportional I think.

Steely Dan said:
Well then, instead of using Maple, try doing the integral by hand :)

That was very helpful.

Never mind. I do not think neither you nor I have a clue.

glebovg said:

"Watts per hertz" is really just energy, so spectral radiance is simply energy per unit area per steradian per unit wavelength. Consequently, if you know the fraction of all the intensity in this spectral range compared to the total intensity, you also know the energy ratio.

What is blackbody radiation density?

Blackbody radiation density refers to the amount of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a blackbody at a specific temperature. A blackbody is an ideal object that absorbs all radiation that falls on it, and emits radiation at all wavelengths. The amount of radiation emitted by a blackbody at a given temperature is described by Planck's law.

How is blackbody radiation density related to temperature?

The amount of radiation emitted by a blackbody increases with temperature. This is because as temperature increases, the atoms and molecules within the blackbody vibrate more vigorously, emitting more radiation. This relationship is described by the Stefan-Boltzmann law.

What is the significance of blackbody radiation density?

Blackbody radiation density is important in understanding the behavior of objects in thermal equilibrium. It is also used in various fields such as astrophysics, where it helps in studying the temperature and composition of stars and other celestial bodies.

How is blackbody radiation density measured?

Blackbody radiation density can be measured using a spectrometer, which measures the intensity of radiation at different wavelengths. The data collected can then be analyzed to determine the temperature of the blackbody and its emission spectrum.

What is the relationship between blackbody radiation density and the color of an object?

The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that it reflects or emits. As mentioned earlier, a blackbody emits radiation at all wavelengths, but the amount of radiation emitted at each wavelength depends on the temperature of the blackbody. Therefore, the color of a blackbody is related to its temperature, with hotter objects appearing blue or white, and cooler objects appearing red or orange.