1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blackbody radiation equations

1. Oct 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the total energy of the radiation in a volume V at temperature T is
    9t24g4.png
    Hint:
    30rl8k6.png

2. Relevant equations
    2mgt5e8.png
    21jbxb7.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    The hint doesn't make sense to me, and those are the equation that I found to be perhaps relevant. Do I integrate the second equation? I'm not sure how to start this problem.
    I think the hint is to help in integrating the second "relevant" equation, so integrating f^3 / exp(hf/K_BT)-1 from zero to infinity should equal pi^4/15?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you need to integrate the equation for dU/df.

Make the substitution x = hf / KbT and use the Hint.

4. Oct 4, 2015 #3
    Then
    x = hf / K_b T
    dx = h / K_b T * df
    df = K_b T / h * du
    performing the integral then gives pi^4/15 * (K_b T / h)
    then together with the rest of the constants it gives [8pi^5V K_b T] / [15c^3] , which doesn't look look like the final answer, did I do something wrong or are there additional steps?

Edit: Oops sorry there is a mistake in the first equation given in the problem. The pi has an exponent of 5 not 2, and the k_B has an exponent of 4 not 2.

But still I can't seem to obtain that equation, all I get is [8pi^5V K_b T] / [15c^3], the h is missing

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted