Blackbody Radiation: 100K to 1000K Energy Increase

In summary, the correct answer to the question is c) 1 x 10^4. The relationship between temperature and radiated energy for a blackbody is proportional to T^4. This means that when the temperature increases from 100K to 1000K, the radiated energy will increase by a factor of 10^4. This can be seen from the equation for the peak frequency of blackbody radiation and the equation for energy. Additionally, the power radiated is also proportional to T^4, so an increase in temperature also results in an increase in power.
CaneAA

Homework Statement

By what factor does the radiated energy increase when a blackbody changes temperatures from 100K to 1000K

a) 100
b) 6600
c) 1 x 10^ 4 <--- marked as the correct answer on the key.
d) 5.7 x 10^4
e) 1 x 10^6

Homework Equations

1) f(peak) = 5.88x10^10*T
2) E = hf

The Attempt at a Solution

By inspection, I see that if T increases by a factor of 10, the frequency will increase by a factor of 10 and so will the energy. So I'm getting that the answer is a factor of 10. I even plugged in numbers and I still get 10. I don't understand how they got that answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I see, thank you. But how do you know they're referring to power and not energy? They don't mention power or rate of energy radiated.

If I told you that a mass was increased, then you would assume the gravitational force on it was also increased. It's a similar idea with energy and power.

I would approach this problem by using the equations provided and understanding the concept of blackbody radiation. The key to solving this problem is to understand that the energy radiated by a blackbody is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that if the temperature increases by a factor of 10, the energy will also increase by a factor of 10.

Using the equation for peak frequency (f(peak) = 5.88x10^10*T), we can see that as the temperature increases from 100K to 1000K, the frequency increases by a factor of 10. This is because the temperature has increased by a factor of 10, and the frequency is directly proportional to the temperature.

Now, using the equation for energy (E = hf), we can see that the energy also increases by a factor of 10. This is because the frequency has increased by a factor of 10, and energy is directly proportional to frequency.

Therefore, the correct answer is a factor of 10, or option a). The other options are incorrect because they do not take into account the direct proportionality between energy and temperature.

1. What is blackbody radiation?

Blackbody radiation is the electromagnetic radiation emitted by a perfect blackbody, which is an object that absorbs all radiation that falls on it and has a temperature above absolute zero.

2. How does the energy of blackbody radiation change as the temperature increases from 100K to 1000K?

The energy of blackbody radiation increases with temperature according to the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which states that the total energy emitted by a blackbody is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature. Therefore, as the temperature increases from 100K to 1000K, the energy of blackbody radiation will increase by a factor of approximately 10.

3. What is the relationship between the peak wavelength of blackbody radiation and temperature?

The peak wavelength of blackbody radiation is inversely proportional to temperature, according to Wien's displacement law. This means that as the temperature increases, the peak wavelength will shift towards shorter, more energetic wavelengths.

4. How is blackbody radiation important in understanding the behavior of stars?

Blackbody radiation is crucial in understanding the behavior of stars because stars are essentially blackbodies that emit radiation at various temperatures. By studying the spectrum of blackbody radiation emitted by stars, scientists can determine their temperature, composition, and other properties.

5. What applications does the study of blackbody radiation have in modern technology?

The study of blackbody radiation has numerous applications in modern technology, such as in the design of energy-efficient lighting and solar cells. It is also used in infrared cameras, which detect thermal radiation emitted by objects, and in the field of spectroscopy, which is used to identify and analyze the chemical composition of objects. Additionally, the laws governing blackbody radiation play a significant role in the theory of quantum mechanics.