Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blackhole at the center of each galaxy, think again

1. Jun 7, 2005 #1
    If there a massive blackhole at the center of each galaxy then; near the center of our galaxy, stars should be revolving the BH at very high speeds, hence we should be able to note their revolutions around the BH in months, days or even hours.

And hence we should also be able to see some of the stars being hidden behind the blackhole for sometime, giving us opportunity to study the BH in detail. If all these thing happen then yes there must be a blackhole at the center of each galaxy.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2005 #2

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Stars do move fast at the center of the Milky Way. Here's an animation:
    http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap001220.html

The distance to other galaxies, as well as gas and dust obscuring the view would make it difficult to create such a simulation for other galaxies.

Black holes are very small. The odds of the black hole eclipsing a neighboring star would be very small.

4. Jun 7, 2005 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

If they are close to it, yes....
    Well, black holes aren't all that "big" that they would "hide" stars. There would be some lensing though, that could make the gravitational fields "visible".
    As it stands, such evidence does exist for some galaxies.

5. Jun 7, 2005 #4
    1) We are always interested in facts not animations, we have lot of them with us on various topics.

2) First we should study our own; when technology allows us for latter, we will move on.

3) I Think Sir Russ Watters answered that. Anyways the odds are there and U r forgetting that there are millions of star revolving in our galaxy that can get ecilpsed by that blackhole being at the center of galaxy. so Watch out.

6. Jun 7, 2005 #5
    Please, let us know that too.

7. Jun 7, 2005 #6

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've got a little attitude in your response. I'm just trying to help you out.

1. That animation is a sequence of photographs, not some artist's renditioning. The caption tells you what is going on. It is one picture per year, in infared of the center of the galaxy. So the animation is factual.

2. I agree, but your original question asked about If there a massive blackhole at the center of each galaxy then.... I was simply trying to explain why similar photographic animations do not exist for the centers of other galaxies.

3. I agree Sir Russ Watters answered that, but I'm not just recyclying his answer. Check the order of the posts.

I'm not forgetting that there are millions stars that are candidates for eclipse. Actually there are billions. But when you consider the angular size of these stars, the angular size of the black hole, and the enormous spacing between stars, an eclipse would still be very rare. Maybe we'll live to see one, but the odds are astronomically stacked against it.

8. Jun 7, 2005 #7

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As you point out, the actual facts are that very rapid stellar motion in the core of our galaxy near Sgr A has already been observed, and provides good evidence that Sgr A at the core of our galaxy is a black hole.

I was looking for a good web reference, as I originally found this information on televised lecture from UCSD, but frankly the "attitude" that you referred to from our poster turned me off enough that I didn't feel like bothering.

Our poster ("anomalous") seems to like threads of the sort "2+2=4, think again", followed by a lame argument - if you check out the relativity forum, you'll see what I mean.

9. Jun 7, 2005 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

We don't see those things, true. But it is not because they are not there, it is because, well... we can't see them.

We can't actually see the core of our own galaxy. It is hidden by dust lanes.

And yes, your attitude is somewhat off-putting. (Doh! All those years studying - if only we had consulted Anomalous!) If you're not careful, you may find your reputation preceding you.

10. Jun 7, 2005 #9

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

We are actually starting to be able to see the core of OUR galaxy with IR telescopes. The longer wavelengths can penetrate the dust.

We cannot now and are not likely in the near future to be able to pick out individual stars in the cores of distant galaxies, however. With the long wavelengths required to see through the dust, unreasonably large mirrors would be required to achieve the required angular resolution.

There's some data on the proper motion of stars near the galactic center at

http://www.mpe.mpg.de/ir/GC/prop.html
    http://www.mpe.mpg.de/ir/GC/res_s2orbit.html

some other links on the page describe the Sharp I infra-red telescope system that was used to take these pictures.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  11. Jun 8, 2005 #10
    1) thats your mistake and suggestion.

2) This is not the only forum in the world, I will be where I am treated with respect and dignity.

You seem to be DAVE from AstronomyForums.net, What r U doing here ? Tarnishing the reputation of PF to increase your Ratings ?

12. Jun 8, 2005 #11
    Do on to others that which you would have done on to you :wink:

13. Jun 8, 2005 #12
    QUOTE=Daminc]Do on to others that which you would have done on to you :wink:

Perfect !

14. Jun 8, 2005 #13
    Thank you :biggrin:

15. Jun 8, 2005 #14

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you've shown that you deserve such, you will be treated with such. So far, you are not off to a very promising start. If This does not meet with your satisfaction, then by all means, be my guest and post at another forum.

16. Jun 8, 2005 #15
    Well, most of the stuff which you think must happen for BH to exist at the centre of the universe have shown their presence and we have almost assured the fact that BH do exist at the centre of universes.

For your second fact , the stars wouldnt be hidden but the images of the stars as looked above the black hole would be blurred due to the strong gravitational field which wont light come to us in a way it should have.

17. Jun 8, 2005 #16
    I always do , so dont tell me what a forum is missy. I just found this one Yaa but its an irreekee one. Anyways please stick to the topic madam.

18. Jun 8, 2005 #17
    Thanks for not being arrogant as others sir. U r the first one here to answer straight to the bussiness. U sound very promising about eclipse effects.

AS the stars move from behind the black hole even if they wont get obstructed by the BH yet we should see the space bending effects.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2005
  19. Jun 8, 2005 #18
    :cry: I'm in stitches. Where are you from, Anomalous? A juggernaut factory, I expect.

20. Jun 8, 2005 #19
    Actually,there have been debates on what would be visible when we are inside a black hole?...the answer is pretty straight-forwards, we will see an exact blurred copy of original universe.

And what would person outside BH would see if his friend is inside the black hole?...He would probably see nothing because light wouldnot escape the black hole.

One thing more, as I saw in your first post that stars would orbit faster near the black hole due to its strong gravitational field, but to be more specific, the stars near a black hole moving at enormous speeds are not orbiting but are being 'sucked' in. Its only outside the 'event-horizon' of a black hole that stars 'orbit' and are not 'sucked' in.

21. Jun 8, 2005 #20
    Talk about the topic Mr. OffTopic

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?