Detecting Black Hole Radiation: How Does It Work?

In summary, black hole radiation is detected through the observation of Hawking radiation, which is generated just outside the event horizon. This radiation is a result of particles and antiparticles being created from the quantum vacuum and one escaping while the other falls into the black hole, causing a decrease in its mass. This process does not occur after an object crosses the event horizon.
BigStelly
OK guys I know that one of the ways that black hole radiation is detected is by detecting some sort of radiation.

My question is... is this radiation or whatever released at a point were light cannot escape from the black hole? I mean the escape velocity from black holes is immensly greater than even the speed of light so how exactly does the radiation or whatnot escape the gravitational field? Or does it happen before an object crosses the event horizon? I am curious exactly how this works. Thanks :smile:

Science news on Phys.org
If I am not wrong, what I have learned is that it has something to do with thermodynamics of the black hole system. There is existence of virtual particles in empty space, and one type is beyond the event horizon and its anti-particles is outside the event horizon. In effect, you will see a net dissipation of particle radiation from the black hole, which in effect is its black hole radiation.

BigStelly said:
OK guys I know that one of the ways that black hole radiation is detected is by detecting some sort of radiation.

My question is... is this radiation or whatever released at a point were light cannot escape from the black hole? I mean the escape velocity from black holes is immensly greater than even the speed of light so how exactly does the radiation or whatnot escape the gravitational field? Or does it happen before an object crosses the event horizon? I am curious exactly how this works. Thanks :smile:

Hawking radiation, as it is called is generated outside (just outside) the event horizon, which is the limit within which nothing can escape the black hole. A particle and its antiparticle are "promoted" from the quantum vacuum by the gravitational energy of the black hole. One of them falls into it, and the other escapes. Because creation of the pair took some of the black holes's energy, and only half of it came back through the infalling particle, the black hole's gravity, and hence its mass, is diminished.

So I would be correct in assuming that none of this radiation and whatnot occurs once objects have crossed the event horizon?

1. What is black hole radiation?

Black hole radiation, also known as Hawking radiation, is a phenomenon in which black holes emit particles and energy into space. This radiation is caused by quantum effects near the event horizon of a black hole.

2. How is black hole radiation detected?

Black hole radiation can be detected through various methods, such as observing the X-rays and gamma rays emitted by the black hole, or detecting the gravitational waves produced by the radiation.

3. How does black hole radiation work?

Black hole radiation is created by the quantum fluctuations of virtual particles near the event horizon of a black hole. When these particles are created, they can become separated by the black hole's gravitational pull, with one particle being pulled into the black hole and the other escaping as radiation.

4. Can black hole radiation be harmful to us?

No, black hole radiation is not harmful to us as it is extremely weak and only detectable through advanced technology. Additionally, black holes themselves are typically located in distant regions of space, making any potential radiation even less of a threat.

5. Why is detecting black hole radiation important?

Detecting black hole radiation is important because it provides evidence for the existence of black holes and allows us to study their properties. It also helps us understand the fundamental laws of physics, as black hole radiation is a result of the interplay between gravity and quantum mechanics.