Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bladeless fans launched !

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    Here is the news:
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20091013/ttc-dyson-launches-bladeless-fan-e1d36ba.html [Broken]
    Who can explain to me what is behind the fan?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The fan is in the base - it pushes air through the circumference of the ring where it comes out along the axis through tiny holes.
    The idea is a smoother airflow and no whirling blades - so quieter and safer

4. Oct 13, 2009 #3
    There's a write-up on Wired:
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/10/first-look-dysons-blade-free-wonder-fan-blows-our-minds/

"The unit is essentially one of Dyson’s vacuum cleaners working in reverse. The gray base station sucks up air and forces it through the circular blue thing that sits atop the rig. When the air jets through the front of the circle, it creates a suction behind and to the sides that draws more air through the loop and makes the fan more powerful. Dyson claims the Multiplier increases pressure 15-fold and spews 118 gallons of air every minute."

"The Air Multiplier will go on sale on this fall and will cost $300 - $330."

5. Oct 13, 2009 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

That is an insane amount for an air inducer with iPod styling. This is one item I will wait for the Chinese to get a hold of and reverse engineer for 1/10th the price. I give Dyson credit for his vacuum, but he is losing touch with reality.

6. Oct 13, 2009 #5
    So the thing isn't really blade-less is it? Its just that the fan itself is housed in the base. Wouldn't a regular fan be a lot more efficient (along with cheaper) than one of these iFans?

7. Oct 13, 2009 #6
    The inventer just wants to have a smoother fan for the first reason.

8. Oct 14, 2009 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I know. I can't think of how many times I have sat in front of a fan and said "Gee...I wish the flow from my fan was smoother."

The only things he's got going are possible energy savings and safety.

9. Oct 14, 2009 #8
    I'm assuming that the moving air lowers the pressure in the centre thus dragging in more air to move with it.

Looking at this, I'm wondering, can the same principle be applied to an electric current. Could a small DC electrical current be applied in such a way as to creates a current flow 15 times more greater?

10. Oct 14, 2009 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not quite.
    It drags more through the hole at low speed by having a very high speed airflow at the edges - you don't gain any extra airflow. In fact it's less efficenct because of the energy lost as the high pressure air expands out of the small holes.

In electrical terms it's like short circuiting something - you get a lot more current flowing at a reduced voltage. But you don't get something for nothing

11. Oct 14, 2009 #10

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

12. Oct 14, 2009 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

OK, technically the "bladeless" claim is false, but functionally (i.e. as a user uses it), it is true. I think that is a valid claim, since he's selling a product, not an engineering design. All the user-focused things relevant in a bladed fan do not exist in this device. And that's what's important.

Tell me, would anyone likewise cry foul at the claim that a hovercraft is a wheelless vehicle? I could probably find hundreds of wheels in a hovercraft, yet...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  13. Oct 14, 2009 #12
    Still, what a conversational piece to have.

14. Oct 15, 2009 #13

minger

Science Advisor

I don't really think you're talking apples and apples here. Sure, in a hovercraft, there may be wheels that support secondary systems and such; the wheels aren't integral to the concept and idea of a hovercraft.

When I think of a fan, or even an "air moving device" that has claims of "bladeless", then I sure as hell don't expect circular ducting sitting on top of a normal desk fan.

15. Oct 15, 2009 #14

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well zero emission vehicles have emissions - they are just hidden somewhere else that you cant see them. Same principle really.

16. Oct 15, 2009 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

My point is that, as a product, it is a bladeless fan.

It does not operate like a bladed fan; it does not have the dangers or annoyances of a bladed fan. (Also, I'll bet dollars to donuts it is not a normal desk fan in the base.)

He's selling a product, not trying to wow physics buffs with some alleged new technology.

17. Oct 15, 2009 #16

minger

Science Advisor

I'm not trying to argue for the sake or arguing, but I guess this does bring a decent conversation in claims. At what point does it go from bladeless to blades then?

Right now a fan drives flow through a perforated torus (essentially), and we call it bladeless.

If the torus becomes simply a torodial opening, is it still bladeless? What if the opening becomes circular, essentially making it a ducted fan, is it still bladeless? What if the ducting shortens to just a protective shroud over the blade?

To me, it's analagous to saying that things like biodiesel and hydrogen are clean energy, when it requires an abundance of "dirty" energy to make them.

18. Oct 15, 2009 #17

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I think I'll still stick with the "rip off" label myself.

19. Oct 15, 2009 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What is it being ripped off of?

20. Oct 15, 2009 #19

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I mean a rip off in terms of $300 for a cheap fan.

21. Oct 15, 2009 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

How do you know it's cheap?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook