Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: BLAH! Temp and engine problem, need help

1. Sep 30, 2004 #1
    I was running through some problems, doing just fine, until I came across these two. I can't work out a correct solution. :cry:

1) A 1-kg block of ice at 0 C falls into a lake whose water is also at 0 C, and 0.01 kg of the ice melts. What was the minimum altitude from which the ice fell?

2) Three designs for an engine to operate between 450 K and 300 K are proposed. Design A is claimed to require a heat input of 800 J for each 1000 J of work output, design B a heat input of 2500 J, and design C a heat input of 3500J. Which design would you choose and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Here are some hints that may help:
    (1) How much energy is needed to melt that much ice? Where does that energy come from? (Consider gravitational potential energy.)
    (2) What is the maximum possible efficiency of a heat engine operating between those two temperatures?

4. Oct 1, 2004 #3
    :confused: still can't get 'em

5. Oct 1, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Show what you've done so far.

6. Oct 1, 2004 #5
    For the second, I'm assuming the max efficiency is about .33. So I would choose design B.

I have no clue of what to use for the first problem.

7. Oct 1, 2004 #6

Doc Al

No need to assume it. Calculate it based on the temperatures.
    What is the stated efficiency of design B?

How much energy does it take to melt ice? Hint: [itex]Q = m L_f[/itex], where [itex]L_f[/itex] is the "latent heat of fusion" for water.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook