Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blair has caved

1. Apr 21, 2004 #1

jimmy p

Gold Member

Blair has caved!!

FINALLY!!! what I'm sure most the British population wanted... a referendum! For the unenlightened, for some time now, Blair has been deciding to go behind the populace's back and make us join the European mega-state thing. (sounds reminiscent of the Gibraltar debate which i was real annoyed at). So much for the leader of a social party giving "the people what it wants". But finally now, he has cracked and is letting us vote on whether we want to keep the pound and remain British, or take the Euro and be European.

POUND ALL THE WAY!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2004 #2
    POUND ALL THE WAY! :smile:
    good news!

4. Apr 21, 2004 #3

kat

what does Blair see as the benefit to this that he is pushing so strongly for it? Joining not the referendum..

5. Apr 21, 2004 #4
    Is it really about the pound? I thought the referendum was "only" about the future EU-constitution. And, what do you think, will there be an "Ay" or a "Nay"?

6. Apr 21, 2004 #5

jimmy p

Gold Member

well rumour has it that there is a space in the "high council" thingy if Britain accept. It's all for personal gain and not what we want.

7. Apr 21, 2004 #6

jimmy p

Gold Member

It's not just about the pound, its about all that is British, our laws, our regulations, our pride!!

8. Apr 21, 2004 #7

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

where do you stand on units like
    mile
    yard
    foot
    quart
    pint
    inch
    (for roadsigns, selling beer at the pub etc)

9. Apr 21, 2004 #8

jimmy p

Gold Member

hmmm
    We drive in MPH. We dont DO kilometres here really

yard, not really used that much. However I have a lot of contact with "yards" where i work.

Foot. Height is measured in feet. Many things are still measured in feet.

I dont personally use "quart"

Beer is sold in pints. Milk is sold in pints. Pint glasses. Pint is used a lot.

Inches. Used a lot still.

10. Apr 21, 2004 #9
    It is all about letting the country be run by the EU or not. i.e. deciding laws, taxes, immigration policies, social security etc.
    The same laws which people want in Germany or Poland are not the same laws that people which people want in the UK.

I am also against further expansion of the EU. A recent poll in Germany showed that most of their residents thought that quality of life will get worse after the enlargement. They thought that there would be more unemployment and more crime.

You only have to look at how the Turks/ Moroccans etc. are screwing the Dutch people in Holland for their high unemployment benefit and social securities, and the greater crime which they bring to see how things may go.

11. Apr 21, 2004 #10

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Polls indicate most Brits would opt out of joining the EU. For centuries, France Germany and Spain have tried to control Great Britain via force of arms. The new method is to use economic sanctions against the non-submissive nations. It seems GB is caught between a rock and a hard place. Joining the EU would eventually lead to a completely socialized economy. A socialized EU cannot hope to compete with the US, Japan, India, and the soon to be economic powerhouse of the world, China.

How well can GB perform outside of the EU? There will certainly be large tariffs imposed on GB’s exports to EU member states. This will force GB to make its bed with the US, Canada, Australia, and other nations of its once great empire. I suspect this would be the best choice for the Brits in the long term, but some hardship in the short term. GB always finds an inspired leader when needed, right now the need for another Churchill or Thatcher is desperate.

I think, in less than 50 years, the economic powerhouse of the word will be a conglomeration of Asian nations followed by a group of nations centered around the US and a poorly performing EU. Russia’s place in this scheme is impossible to fit in easily but will probably settle in with the US.

12. Apr 21, 2004 #11

jimmy p

Gold Member

i agree. Despite what a lot of people think, Thatcher was good. At least she had a spine. I dont see why idiot Blair would try get rid of one of the (if not THE) strongest currency in the world for the sake of a couple of whining French and Spanish gits who will benefit Britain as much as a snot-rag. The pound all the way and Blair should be steam-rollered.

13. Apr 21, 2004 #12
    During a referendum you can ask several questions.
    A great additional question to ask: Should we go out of Iraq?

Maybe the Europe question would have a majority: Yes out Europe, and the second: Yes out of Iraq.

I think Blair wants to have public attention away from news-topic Iraq, and wants to give 'extra smiles' to Europe since he was humilated by Bush.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2004
  14. Apr 22, 2004 #13

jimmy p

Gold Member

Handy that it is nearing election time in the next year or so. Suddenly he is giving people what they want. The only thing i fear is that the referendum questions may make us lose out either way. Just for and extreme example (i dont know exactly how these work)

1. Would you want to join the EU?
    2. Would you want to become part of Africa?

You know, he could twist the answers to get what he wants...

15. Apr 25, 2004 #14
    In the future, china is going to have a huge problem with the aging population due to the 1 child only policy. However I have a lot of confidence in those oriental countries. Japan has shown the way to go.
    Britain and other EU countries will probably become Islamic substates and hence will not be very productive.

16. Apr 25, 2004 #15
    This has started to happen already.

17. Apr 25, 2004 #16
    Enough with the anti-Muslim and anti-Arab nonsense, please?

18. Apr 25, 2004 #17

jimmy p

Gold Member

ok, I agree with you Zero, but you dont live in a country where the immigrants have more rights than you do. Please dont kill me!!

19. Apr 25, 2004 #18
    You don't live in that sort of country either.

20. Apr 25, 2004 #19

jimmy p

Gold Member

Uh, yes I do, but I (and you) dont want to turn this into an Immigrant bashing thread...

OK...

Maybe you are TECHNICALLY right. I dont live in that country but the white people of our country (that includes me) have become very "Politically Correct" (what a load of horse poo!), as in over the top PC. Which should explain why the immigrants seem to have more rights than we do... hopefully...

21. Apr 25, 2004 #20
    Can anyone lay out in an intelligible manner the purported pros and cons of the UK joining the EU?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?